Trouble starting Husqvarna mower

Roniii

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, I recently purchased a home and inherited a seldom used backup push mower as my first mower.

The mower in question is a Husqvara rotary lawn mower, model number 917.374420 it has the Briggs Stratton 4-cycle engine model number 122T02-0824-EA

When I first got the mower my father in law had fixed a stuck pin in the carburetor. On my first attempt to mow it started right up on the second pull.
The mower died about half way through mowing my lawn. It would start and run for a second before dying.

I opened up the carburetor and cleaned out the bowl and jets on the nut and put it back together. I was able to start it after that and finish mowing the lawn.
Two weeks later when I went to start the mower and it wouldn't start up.

It wouldn't even start for a few seconds before dying like it did before on the first mow job. This is pretty much where it stands now.
If I spray starter fluid into the air filter it will start right up and run perfectly until I shut it off. I was able to mow my front, back, and both side yards in one shot mulching last week before turning it off.

I have replaced:
air filter
carburetor
priming bulb
spark plug

I can see the primer shooting gas up tube in the carburetor. Because it starts with the starter fluid thats leads me to believe that the spark is OK but I don't have a tester for that.

I am running out of ideas and exhausting most options found form my research online for mowers that wont start. That is what got me here.
I would be happy to provide any additional information or pictures.
This is my first attempt to work on a small engine.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• L0704324.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 4

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Trouble starting Husqvara mower

Have you changed the oil? Does oil on dipstick smell of gasoline?

Possibly, fresh gasoline, air, compression, & spark are needed for an engine to run.

Last edited:

Roniii

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have not changed the oil...

I checked the oil and it didn't look particularly dark but I will change it tonight.

I didn't think to smell the oil, I will take a sniff tonight before changing it. If it does smell of gasoline will changing the oil resolve any issue this might have caused?

Thank you so much for responding. :thumbsup:

Roniii

Forum Newbie
Threads

Possibly, fresh gasoline, air, compression, & spark are needed for an engine to run.

I have put in fresh gas, air filter, and spark plug. Am I correct in assuming my spark is fine when it starts with starter fluid?

How would I test compression? Put thumb over spark plug hole and pull the cable?

Roniii

Forum Newbie
Threads

The oil was black and smelled of gas. The mower is starting on the first or second pull now and running great.

Kicking myself for not changing it sooner! haha, thank you for your help. :drink: