Interesting blurb regarding gasoline

jp1961

Threads
Hi All,

While looking for parts on parts tree.com, this blurb on the bottom of the page was interesting;

Fuel Selection
Today's gasoline breaks down quickly. When it does, it leaves behind a thick varnish-like residue that adheres to the walls of its container, including the inside of the fuel system in your lawn equipment. Further, "regular" gas may have 10%, or more, alcohol, which attracts and blends with water, causing carburetor problems and the breakdown of lubricating mix-oils in 2-cycle equipment. Lawn equipment is especially prone to these fuel problems because the equipment is not run daily allowing time for the fuel to deteriorate and absorb water. For best results, avoid alcohol-blended fuels in 4-cycle lawn equipment and never use high-alcohol blends in your 2-cycle equipment. "Mid-grade" and "premium" fuels generally are not blended with alcohol.

Regards

Jeff

TonyPrin

Threads
"Mid-grade" and "premium" fuels generally are not blended with alcohol.
Your find demonstrates that you can find anything on the internet. There is absolutely no basis for this statement. With rare exceptions all gasolines are blended in the same manner irrespective of grade.

Having said that, most of the balance of the quote is accurate or close enough. The issue applies to all small engines. There's plenty you can do to avoid the problem. My approach is to treat the gas with a good stabilizer (Sta-Bil or Sea Foam, for example) and not store more gas than I'll need for a month.

Last edited:

2smoked

Threads
Your find demonstrates that you can find anything on the internet. There is absolutely no basis for this statement. With rare exceptions all gasolines are blended in the same manner irrespective of grade.

Having said that, most of the balance of the quote is accurate or close enough. The issue applies to all small engines. There's plenty you can do to avoid the problem. My approach is to treat the gas with a good stabilizer (Sta-Bil or Sea Foam, for example) and not store more gas than I'll need for a month.

Tony, if what you say is true, why are most of the pumps in my area specifically labeled "0% added ethanol" for premium? (Oh NO!!--looks like we have the beginnings of a gasoline debate thread).

lewb

Threads
I travel the Midwest (ia,il,ne,mn,in,oh,) Many states now you can only get blended gas (il,mn,in,oh) from what I have seen. Ironically two of the biggest corn producing states NE and IA you can still find straight gas in 87 and 91 readily. I have never had a problem with non ethanol gas left in mower or snow blower as well as gas can for 6 months or longer. Just my experience. Right now I am using some 85 octane non ethanol that I bought in WY while snowmobiling back in March. This gas will last most of the summer.

TonyPrin

Threads
Tony, if what you say is true, why are most of the pumps in my area specifically labeled "0% added ethanol" for premium? (Oh NO!!--looks like we have the beginnings of a gasoline debate thread).
I can be wrong on anything, including this but here's a quote from the EPA:
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that in 2016, the 143.4 billion gallons of finished motor gasoline consumed in the United States contained about 14.4 billion gallons of fuel ethanol, or about 10% of the total volume of finished motor gasoline consumption.

Now, if that's correct almosty all the gasoline sold in the US must contain ethanol and there's no way a substantial amount of premium gas could be ethanol free or the average wouldn't be 10%. (Note that it's actually over 10% because a small amount of gasoline is E15.) I'm not suggesting there aren't exceptions. Of course there are. Also, I'm not an EPA fan but that doesn't make their statement wrong. If someone has another authoritative source, it would be good to see it.

BTW, here's a link to the EPA site:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=27&t=4

Last edited:

lewb

Threads
I can be wrong on anything, including this but here's a quote from the EPA:

Now, if that's correct virtually all the gasoline sold in the US must contain ethanol and there's no way a substantial amount of premium gas could be ethanol free and the average would be 10%. (Note that it's actually over 10% because a small amount of gasoline is E15.) I'm not suggesting there aren't exceptions. Of course there are. Also, I'm not an EPA fan but that doesn't make their statement wrong. If someone has another authoritative source, it would be good to see it.

BTW, here's a link to the EPA site:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=27&t=4

There is E85 which is part of the 14 billion gallons, the reason its 85% is to keep people from filling up shine at less than 2 dollars a gallon.

2smoked

Threads
Just my 5 cents worth: I wish they would stop putting "corn" in our gas. I only see two benefits to it. 1) Ethanol producers are getting rich off of it. 2) At least in the bitter cold months around here, you no longer have to add it to your car's tank to prevent gas line freeze.

And don't get me started about it's "benefits" to the environment. That's all folks.

javjacob

Threads
Within a 30 mile radius of where I live there is only 3 stations that sell gas with no ethanol and all 3 are 91 premium. All the rest of the stations have ethanol added no matter what grade the fuel is.

unclelee

Threads
I live in Texas and never see ethenol free gas at the pump. However when I travel, I have seen 100% gas in some states like Oklahoma for example. It is usually more expensive. So I think ethenol free fuel is a regional thing.
I have to use Sta-Bil in all of my small equipment fuel or pay the price for premix at my local Home Depot or Lowe's. The problem there is they don't offer 32:1 or 16:1 mix ratio. And I am a stickler for factory recommended mix ratio no matter how good the manufacturer says their oil is. ( I couldn't help myself ??? )

stevestd

Threads
In Australia we are spoilt for fuel choices. I have tried 10% ethanol fuel in the distant past (with issues) and have only used 95 or 98 RON since (no ethanol or issues but much more expensive). The marine industry has many parallels with mowers and ethanol is not recommended here in boats. However, here is an old but interesting US boating article and links relating to ethanol fuels. http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp