Interesting blurb regarding gasoline

Teds

Threads
Keep in mind while fuel stabilizers or preservatives work to extend the "shelf life" of gasoline, they don't do anything to allow the use of ethanol fuels. One reason is because they absorb water, also they attack rubber parts in the fuel system. Another is that the fuel mixture will run quite a bit leaner, all things being equal. This can be compensated for by adjustment of the "altitude" needle but lots of folks wouldn't know what it is much less how to adjust it. So LawnBoy has always cautioned against its use, in their service manual, as shown here:

"GASOLINE - Use automotive regular grade with a minimum of 89 pump octane, “No-Lead” or “lead free” gasoline of 86 pump octane is satisfactory if owner wishes to use it. DO NOT USE GASOHOL OR OTHER GASOLINES THAT CONTAIN ETHANOL OR METHANOL."

http://www.pure-gas.org

This website maintains a registry for all 50 states, of locations that offer gasoline without ethanol. This is where the fuel stabilizers come in handy. If it's inconvenient to obtain, purchase 5 or 10 gallons and treat. For most residential homeowners 5 gallons should get through a season of lawnmowing and maybe sno-blowing.

TonyPrin

Threads
Keep in mind while fuel stabilizers or preservatives work to extend the "shelf life" of gasoline, they don't do anything to allow the use of ethanol fuels. One reason is because they absorb water, also they attack rubber parts in the fuel system. Another is that the fuel mixture will run quite a bit leaner, all things being equal. This can be compensated for by adjustment of the "altitude" needle but lots of folks wouldn't know what it is much less how to adjust it. So LawnBoy has always cautioned against its use, in their service manual, as shown here:

"GASOLINE - Use automotive regular grade with a minimum of 89 pump octane, “No-Lead” or “lead free” gasoline of 86 pump octane is satisfactory if owner wishes to use it. DO NOT USE GASOHOL OR OTHER GASOLINES THAT CONTAIN ETHANOL OR METHANOL."

Teds, I don't have a Lawn-Boy and am not really familiar with them. However, if Lawn-Boy recommends not using gasoline containing ethanol today they'd be the only company of it's kind to do so. Beyond that, they'd have difficulty being a national operation because ethanol free gasoline is not available at the pump in many areas.

That's not to say your information wasn't correct at one time. I suspect, though, that your manual was printed over 15 years ago.

Here's information from Lawn-Boy's current FAQ:

Fuel Brand:
We recommend that you use a national name brand to ensure that you are beginning with good quality fuel. Use fuel with octane rating of 87 or as close to 87 as you can. Higher octane fuels offer no benefit for our residential products and some high octane additive packages are not good for small engines. Only purchase what you expect to use within 30 days, or add stabilizer. If you add a fuel stabilizer the day you buy the gasoline you can expect the fuel to stay fresh for 4-6 months. Fuel stabilizer is available from most Lawn-Boy Authorized Service Dealers.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Teds, I don't have a Lawn-Boy and am not really familiar with them. However, if Lawn-Boy recommends not using gasoline containing ethanol today they'd be the only company of it's kind to do so. Beyond that, they'd have difficulty being a national operation because ethanol free gasoline is not available at the pump in many areas.

That's not to say your information wasn't correct at one time. I suspect, though, that your manual was printed over 15 years ago.

Here's information from Lawn-Boy's current FAQ:
Did you check the link in Teds post? Ethanol-free gas is available in all 50 states; not sure what you mean by 'many areas.' I have to drive three miles to get 87 octane ethanol-free and eight miles to get 91 octane ethanol-free. I don't consider that to be much of an inconvenience.

I doubt that manufacturers care what gas we use in our small engines. They put the disclaimers in the manuals, such as only buying a few weeks supply at a time and running engines dry at the end of the season, knowing full well many, if not most, people will ignore them. None of that is necessary with ethanol-free gas.

An added benefit to the manufacturers is that they get to sell far more carburetors and carburetor parts than they did before ethanol.

Teds

Threads
Pure gas is certainly available, just have to look for it. I live in Iowa, and it's not hard to find at all. It costs a few cents more, but no big deal in the amounts used.

The latest corporate-speak memo there talks about octane levels, but notable by its absence, doesn't address ethanol. To be clear, I'm more interested in 2 stroke engines, and vintage lawnmowers that are no longer being produced.

This is one of those areas that are all too common today, just because an issue is studiously ignored doesn't make it go away. Operator's Manuals long ago ditched content and useful info for pages and pages of CYA warnings and cautions.

Consequently in these matters I like to consult professionals, and the folks that repair equipment professionally. They do not like ethanol fuels for use in small engines. At all. Since the amounts used are relatively small for most of us it's not a big deal to set aside a few gallons of pure gasoline for lawn equipment and avoid the issue entirely.

TonyPrin

Threads
Did you check the link in Teds post? Ethanol-free gas is available in all 50 states; not sure what you mean by 'many areas.' I have to drive three miles to get 87 octane ethanol-free and eight miles to get 91 octane ethanol-free. I don't consider that to be much of an inconvenience.

cpurvis, I agree with part of what you're saying but local access to ethanol free gasoline can be an issue. Just because ethanol free gasoline is sold someplace in all 50 states doesn't really make it available. According to the pure-gas.org website, there's 220 locations for ethanol-free gasoline in Kansas - where you live - so I'd say it's readily available in your area. However, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey only have 221 locations combined - also from the website. In other words, 30% of the country's population have the same number of locations as Kansas. And several of those locations only sell ethanol-free gasoline in 1 gallon cans. To me, that means "ethanol free gasoline is not available at the pump in many areas".

winston61

Forum Newbie
Threads
My own solution was to stop using automobile gas in my power equipment. I use the canned gas the power dealers sell. It's rated at 92 octane with no ethanol and mix with oil. I'm not in the business so I only mix a pint at time for my trimmers and use straight in my mower. Yes, it costs more, but I spent a lot of money( to me anyway) on my equipment and if I can prevent the trips and expense and down time by spending a few extra dollars, I'll do it. So for a few extra dollars I can that first pull start every time. I live in Texas and there ain't no non-corn gas except in cans.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
cpurvis, I agree with part of what you're saying but local access to ethanol free gasoline can be an issue. Just because ethanol free gasoline is sold someplace in all 50 states doesn't really make it available. According to the pure-gas.org website, there's 220 locations for ethanol-free gasoline in Kansas - where you live - so I'd say it's readily available in your area. However, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey only have 221 locations combined - also from the website. In other words, 30% of the country's population have the same number of locations as Kansas. And several of those locations only sell ethanol-free gasoline in 1 gallon cans. To me, that means "ethanol free gasoline is not available at the pump in many areas".

That's too bad for folks living those states. If they can't drive a little out of their way, I guess they're stuck with using ethanol gas and buying two weeks worth at a time, the cost of stabilizer, parts and their time if their carburetors clog up. They'd probably be better off hiring a lawn service.

jp1961

Threads
Interesting. I've seen premixed gas for sale at places like Wal-Mart, but how fresh is it (I've heard gas looses an octane point for every month it sits)? I don't mind paying extra for alcohol free gas, nor driving a bit to find it at the pump.

Regards

Jeff

TonyPrin

Threads
Interesting. I've seen premixed gas for sale at places like Wal-Mart, but how fresh is it (I've heard gas looses an octane point for every month it sits)? I don't mind paying extra for alcohol free gas, nor driving a bit to find it at the pump.

Regards

Jeff

Jeff, your point is correct in some regard but not others. The shelf life of gasoline can range from several months to years. However, there's no telling how long the gasoline was stored before processing as a premix, and then at Walmart before being sold to you.

Often the first problem relates to gasoline volatility - precisely the feature you want in gasoline. Some chemicals can separate and/or evaporate, leaving behind less volatile chemicals. And, of course, gasoline can oxidize - making it into a sour smelling, dark gummy muck that can damage your engine.

These issues generally relate to gasoline that's been improperly stored. When stored in sealed containers, gasoline should last for the top end of the shelf life, several years.