Snapper "rider" not going into gear

1vannn

Threads
Hey everybody,
I was at my local FFA auction and I was looking for an inexpensive lawn mower that I could get for my grandma and fell in love with this Snapper guy. Based on the serial on the Briggs it is a a 92, pretty old but the engine had compression so I went ahead and bought it. The day I got it I figured out that the carburetor was clogged, etc so I decided to throw it back into the barn until I had some free time. That time came, so I invited a friend and together we cleaned the carb, really easy job, changed the spark plug and got the mower running. Trouble is though the transmission is finicky. Most of the time I have to fight it to go from neutral to a gear, also when you strain the engine it also has gearing trouble. It's grinding actually. Not good at all I imagine. Is this a clutch issue? or something else in the transmission department? Sorry for my lack of experiance here but I usually use a hydro-static Kubota diesel. :p

Thanks to all in advance!
Ivan

cashman

Threads
If it's a rear engine Snapper, will the shifter move like it's going into gear? If the bottom oil seal on the engine is leaking, that could prevent the drive disc from driving the mower, If the shifter seems to be changing gears and it makes a grinding noise in all the gears with the engine running, you could have a worn drive disc or the worst case, some worn gears on the axels in the differential?

1vannn

Threads
It is a rear engine Snapper. The turning radius is interesting but awesome. Anyway, Yes goes into gear like you said, you can go to any gear it just grinds. I'm going to give fixing it a dabble today and see what I get from there. How much do drive discs go for on these mowers?

Thank you very much!
Ivan

mattm55

Threads
It is a rear engine Snapper. The turning radius is interesting but awesome. Anyway, Yes goes into gear like you said, you can go to any gear it just grinds. I'm going to give fixing it a dabble today and see what I get from there. How much do drive discs go for on these mowers?

Thank you very much!
Ivan

Welcome aboard. ;o)

I would take a close look at whats grinding. The motor has a drive disk/plate that constantly spins. The trans has a clutch drive disk that has a fiber friction disk. The clutch disk is about $25 and then you would have to do an adjustment on the motor drive disk and then the clutch cable.

I just went through a rebuild where I hard mounted my clutch drive disk to the plate. No more fiber friction disk, just 5/16" bolts and nuts. Your choice.

Also take a look at your yoke in the back. These wear and can cause gear changes to be hard. Google the parts diagrams for the schematics. They sure do help. Ask more questions and let us know your progress.

Matt

1vannn

Threads
Welcome aboard. ;o)

I would take a close look at whats grinding. The motor has a drive disk/plate that constantly spins. The trans has a clutch drive disk that has a fiber friction disk. The clutch disk is about $25 and then you would have to do an adjustment on the motor drive disk and then the clutch cable.

I just went through a rebuild where I hard mounted my clutch drive disk to the plate. No more fiber friction disk, just 5/16" bolts and nuts. Your choice.

Also take a look at your yoke in the back. These wear and can cause gear changes to be hard. Google the parts diagrams for the schematics. They sure do help. Ask more questions and let us know your progress.

Matt

I will definitely look through everything and update accordingly. I also need to fabricate a battery mount. I was mowing yesterday and took a corner too tight and the battery flew off cables snapped and landed on the grass. I'm thinking a plate held on with some wing nuts. Anyway I'll definitely update everyone here with the progress.

Thank you very much buddy for your help,
Ivan

1vannn

Threads
So I just got under it. I had a look and the disc looks pretty new..

1vannn

Threads
So since I couldn't find anything obvious that led me to replacing the disc (and the lack of a vice grip..) I went ahead and pulled the hub off, hoping to find something obvious that signified a problem. Unfortunately nothing was found. The axle is still alright, I was able to spin one tire and the other goes the opposite direction, but when I spin both tires it spins for a few rotations but then locks up and I have to jiggle it around to be able to move the wheels again. (In neutral, clutch in/out does not make a difference). This also does this when it is in gear and moving. So I'm at a loss here, it's definitely something in the axle setup but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: and the model is SRM140

cashman

Threads
Probably the biggest wear item in those transmissions was the gears attached to the long and short axel shafts. Excessive end play on the axels would cause wear on them. You used to could buy a long and short axel kit from Snapper that had both the axels. And you could also buy the whole differential assembly. That was always a common repair on them. From your description, sounds like what your looking at?

1vannn

Threads
Probably the biggest wear item in those transmissions was the gears attached to the long and short axel shafts. Excessive end play on the axels would cause wear on them. You used to could buy a long and short axel kit from Snapper that had both the axels. And you could also buy the whole differential assembly. That was always a common repair on them. From your description, sounds like what your looking at?

Yep! Exactly what I'm talking about. ABout how much are those aprox? Thank you for the speedy reply. ! :)

cashman

Threads
I don't have the foggiest idea how much those go for now or if they are still available from Snapper. Get your model number off the frame from the sticker under the seat and check with some of these on-line guys to see if they are still available.