Walk behind Honda Master Series HR 215 SXA Transmission Issue

gnewton

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am the original owner of a Honda Master Series HR 215 SXA. I believe frame serial number is 6211077 (on aluminum tag behind engine on deck). Over the past 3 years and continuing to get worse regardless of what gear I am in (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) especially when engaging the self propel or going up an incline the transmission skips/ratchets trying to engage the rear wheels.
Once the wheels engage it works fine. The problem is not the ratchets on the ends of the driveshaft connecting the wheels. I have removed the tranny and separated the case. Now I am needing help on what to look for to figure out which gear is most likely worn out/skipping. Also what gear oil do you guys put back in after fixing them. Where do you find replacement parts. Thanks for any help.

Newt
Omaha NE

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hpe/505ce407f870022d24bdbcc2/transmission

I believe these folks have the best prices for HONDA parts & ship fast to your door. My oldest son has HR215SXA that i purchased new in 1990, uses it weekly. I have replaced the transmission twice over the past twenty seven years, price of transmission has doubled since last purchase. It's still less expensive than a new Honda mower. You may want to carefully inspect transmission parts for wear & just order worn out parts. Specified oil: SAE 90 hypoid gear oil, oil capacity 0.21 U.S. qt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Model numbers do not translate directly between USA & Aus but if that is the 3 speed look at the pin inside the box that changes the gears.
It is always spinning and the lever does not so it wears and a little wear will prevent it from changing fully.
The other problem is the clutch dog but I do 1 of there for every 20 pins