removing hub and pulley

stup

Forum Newbie
Threads
i am trying to change motors got the clutch off the motor shaft but cant get the hub and pulley off (kohler motor). nothing to fasten puller to

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Kohler engine section to see if someone over there can offer advice.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Get some penetrating oil and stay the shaft good above the pulley. Let it set awhile. Then take a punch and drive the pulley up just enough to move it. That should free it enough to get it off. It won't take much force to get it off. I have in the past removed all bolts from the engine and snatched up on it that will drive the pulley off from it hitting the frame

stup

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you for that info just sprayed the shaft and pulley down and will try the rest in a couple of hours

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Hopefully it won't be to hard to get off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What works really well is an air hammer usually found in the cheap air tools kits.
Mine sat here unused for around 15 years
I now use it daily.
Put some load on the pulley using a wrecking bar or similar .
Put the bolt back in the shaft loose about 1 turn then put a socket over the top of the head and apply the hammer to the socket.
The 20,000 tiny taps / minute work a lot better than smashing with a 10 lb hammer and does not mushroom over the end of the shaft.
Since I stumbled onto this technique the pullers have not come out of the drawer.

stup

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have soaked with sea foam 2 times and haven't been able to move it with anything. i don't have air hammer but will get one and try this. thank you. it's starting to drive me crazy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good luck.
And when you put it back, a little bit of copper anti sieze will make it a lot easier next time.