Mower deck Scag Advantage Height Adjustment

Bohdy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone!

I'm brand new to the site and to the Scag World. I have done a lot of searching, reading and video watching and I still can't get a definitive answer. I just took ownership of a brand new Scag 36" walk-behind with an Advantage Deck. I am used to regular homeowner-type mowers and lawn tractors, so this whole experience is new to me. In referencing the manual and speaking with the dealer I purchased from, I am still confused on the correct way to adjust the cutting height of the mower. Things I've read say to adjust the spacers on the front caster wheels, but others contradict that and say that only adjusts the pitch of the deck (which to me, makes sense). Others state to add/remove the spacers underneath the deck where the blades are for the higher and lower cutting heights (which makes a little more sense to me). I'M NOT VERY HANDY OR MECHANICALLY INCLINED and I have read the manual and looked at the diagrams in the pictures, but don't really "get it". I have searched on YouTube for videos that may show or explain it a little more clearly, but that didn't work either. Could someone explain the proper procedure for me to actually adjust the height of the cut? I haven't even cut once with it, but don't want to mess anything up. I am a homeowner with about 1.5 acres. I like to cut at the highest height possible during the summer. On rare occasion, I need to also cut my parent's lawn and they like it a little lower than I do, hence the need for the adjustments. I should also mention that the deck itself is set to the highest cut setting (3-1/4" to 4-1/2"). Basically, how do I know if I'm cutting at 3 1/4" or 4 1/2" or anything in between? Any help, links, pictures, videos or diagrams are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You use blade spacers. You put then between the spindle and the blade. zero spacers for tallest grass cut. Then add spacer for every size shorter you want to cut. Burt put this best on cut height. Put a styrofoam cup under deck then turn blade to mark cup. Remove cup then measure the mark. This is not rocket science it is just a mower. Try not to over think it.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
http://www.scag.com/OPManuals/SW/2016OPMAN_IPL/SW_Book_03393.pdf Here is the manual for a mower that uses that type of adjustment. Look at page 19. Notice that the back adjustment needs to be set and then changing the spacers in the front gets the pitch right for those heights...... I have never seen a scag mower that sets height this way but this is how it is done per the book. No need to put anything down to measure. Just use the correct holes and spacers to get it right. Hope this helps.