Considering a Liberty Z to replace a Deere tractor

dman535

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am on a little over 2 acres, have been using an older Deere 216 with a 47" deck. I was looking at moving to a ZTR and the local dealer recommended Scag. I think the Liberty looks like a good option for us.

a. How is it on bumpy ground? Our property has a few rough spots.

b. Any concern with hills?

Thanks

Derek.-

Attachments

• deere_yard.jpg
    deere_yard.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 9

Sweats

Threads
While you wait for somebody with experience specific to the Liberty Z, here's a little something to chew on. If your conditions are already bumpy, those casters in the front aren't going to do you any favors. However, I've mowed about 4 acres with a JD mower for years (and it was far inferior to yours, by the way). Well, that and a tractor with a finish mower, but that doesn't even count for the purpose of this discussion. That said, I've just recently joined the crowd who shout out about how much time you save with a ZTR, regardless of bells and whistles. It's all about not having to loop around all your turns at the end of your runs, not to mention obstacles. You can do the math however you want but at the end of the day, nearly any ZTR buys you time for other chores. Oh, hills; my ZTR handles hills about the same as my old, traditional mower so far. It appears to want to wander a little more but it has a lower center of gravity, so I'm not really worried about it. Unrelated - not looking over a hood is a nice plus. Good luck.

55TBird

Threads
I just bought my son a Freedom Z. It is a sweet mower. Very low center of gravity and 22 hp on a small mower. Good on hills. If you are old and fat like me, the seat is a bit too low...hard to stand up from it. It is about 1k more than the Liberty Z though. As for ZTRs, I've used for 13 years and swear by that design. My place is very rough and the suspension seat on my Turf Tiger makes all the difference in how I feel. My old mower with no suspension used to beat me to death. I'd see if there are any mowers in your price range with suspensions if possible. Good luck.