Not Looking Good

Artie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor Model # 917.270514. It's a 14.5 HP Briggs & Stranton engine. I just started having trouble with it, it runs for a few minutes and dies. I took the carb. off and it seemed clean enough. I then noticed that the gas tank was empty when I just filled it up. I emptied the crank case and it was full of gas. Is there a way to fix this?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor Model # 917.270514. It's a 14.5 HP Briggs & Stranton engine. I just started having trouble with it, it runs for a few minutes and dies. I took the carb. off and it seemed clean enough. I then noticed that the gas tank was empty when I just filled it up. I emptied the crank case and it was full of gas. Is there a way to fix this?

Looks as if its time to rebuild the carb... possible float problem... NOT sure if this pertains to YOUR carb. ( you did'nt supply engine numbers ) ...
but heres a pictorial of carb O/H....http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp

Drain the crankcase... throw in a cheap 30 wt oil to fill point... remove spark plug motor engine by hand a few times then with key for a SHORT while ( too long will fry the solenoid) drain and refill with fresh good oil...
buy and install a fuel shut-off valve and install it in the fuel line AHEAD of the filter ...reinstall plug and if carb is done right and engine is happy it should be a good day !!!

Artie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the engine number, it's 287707, Type number 1255-E1. I thought I would order a few parts, a carb float and a solenoid.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found the engine number, it's 287707, Type number 1255-E1. I thought I would order a few parts, a carb float and a solenoid.

NO Artie .. I did not mean to imply you have a bad FLOAT... I meant the float may be causing a problem with the needle valve it controls .. the needle valve controls the amount of fuel let into the carburetor ...which could either starve (lean condition) or flood it ( rich condition) also ...sometimes if a carb is left to sit
for a good period of time .. the fuel remaining in it turns into passage blocking crud which is another problem unto itself...Boobala

ALSO my GOOF.. I did forget to mention that engine MIGHT use a WALBRO carburetor instead of a NIKKI model ... my Apology !!!