Bob-Cat FastCat 61" blade engagement

Light Weight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I'm a new member to this forum as well as a new owner of a used Bob-Cat Fast Cat RZ 61" B&S 810 cc. The manufacturer tells me that by the serial number it's a 2011 model. It has 27 hours on it and looks new. No rust, no dents near perfect paint and everything that's not painted is shinny. It was keep indoors all it's life, except for 27 hrs. of course. I did have to replace the carb due to not being ran and old gas varnish.
Okay, I think that gives you more background than you need for my question. I have never been around a zero turn mower before or any mower that has an electric blade engagement. I'm assuming it's an electro magnet. When I flip the engagement switch it engages immediately, no gradual blade speed up or clutch-slip action but NOW! Quite dramatic for someone who's used to a Snapper garden tractor. Is this the normal blade hook-up or is something wrong with the PTO?
All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid that this will damage the mower.

Thanks in advance,
Russell

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grats on your "new" mower. What you describe sounds perfectly normal. I suggest you only throttle it up as high as necessary before engaging the PTO, 1/2 throttle or so is usually sufficient.

Light Weight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Darryl. That makes me feel a lot better. I guess I'll start mowing now. Actually I've got to learn how to navigate with levers instead of a steering wheel. There goes the wife's flower bed, the TV satellite dish and the family pet!

Thanks for the help,
Russell

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Daryl is right. Sounds normal. And to prevent clutch damage never throttle it up to much before engaging the clutch.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Totally serious here. You steer a zero turn mower the same way you steer a shopping cart. Just pretend you're walking the supermarket isles with a heavy shopping cart.