GH 616 hydro howl

JPM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a GH 616. Low engine time, clean, new blades. So, the right side hydro can go forward just a bit quicker than the left, and hydros make a slight howl; fluid levels check per owners manual = ok. If I change hydro fluid & filter, will this help? Is there an adjustment for left/right "speed"?

Thanks much.

Meterman93

Threads
I recently purchased a GH 616. Low engine time, clean, new blades. So, the right side hydro can go forward just a bit quicker than the left, and hydros make a slight howl; fluid levels check per owners manual = ok. If I change hydro fluid & filter, will this help? Is there an adjustment for left/right "speed"?

Thanks much.

Those Gemini direct drive transmissions are noisy so changing the fluid and filter won't help you much. If the machine has over a 1000 hours and has never been changed then I would change it. It's expensive fluid. I have a 2001 721D and just changed mine this spring. The transmissions are still noisy from the day I purchased it new. This is the nature of that type of transmission. Do you have a manual with the mower? It will show you how to adjust those steering levers step by step. I hope this helps.

JPM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Meterman! I appreciate the voice of insight and experience. I downloaded an online Owner's Manual / Parts Manual, and I see what you refer to on how to adjust the levers; I'll do that. Couple more questions:
* I didn't notice in the manual if there was any way to adjust the maximum speed forward, left -vs- right; my right can go faster than my left by just a bit (great for great big circles) ... any ideas?
* If it should quit on a guy for whatever reason, is there a lever/switch to actuate that allows the machine to roll when not powered? This is mentioned in the table of contents, but the downloaded version is missing this page (wouldn't ya know it?)
As far as the amount of hrs on the hydro trans fluids/ filters = no idea. I gave the whole machine a good workout yesterday, did great. Decided I will move ahead and change all fluids, install an Hour meter for keeping good records.

Thanks for the info. Safe mowing!!

JPM

BWH

Threads
You need to check if the same results happen when you move the machine in reverse, if so the left hydro is simply getting weak. You could adjust the right side to minimize its speed down to that of the left side so the forward movement of the levers were equal.

As far as free wheeling the unit there are dump valves on each hydro you turn a quarter turn with a handle.

You need to get into the T-Drive hydro to get rid of the hydro-whine.