No throttle response

freshcut92

Threads
Hi, I have a 16.5hp briggs and stratton engine on my ranch king lawn mower. Model 31377 0163-e1 010111ze. The mower runs good but for some reason i have no throttle response when moving the lever. I've tried adjusting the governor by loosening the nut and turning the drive clockwise. I can control the throttle by manually turning it above the carb. when going up a hill it will adjust a little bit. Also when the engine is partially choked i can then adjust the throttle. It is a manual choke btw. I have read something about the governor/ throttle linkage spring that connects to the governor arm and above the throttle plate and mine is broken and the spring is just loose on the linkage. Is this my issue? I dont really see what the spring would even do for me honestly. Any help appreciated.

freshcut92

Threads
I was unable to open the link. Thanks for the pictures. I know where the spring goes but i just wasn't sure if that's what controls whether our not i can use my lever to adjust the throttle speed.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was unable to open the link. Thanks for the pictures. I know where the spring goes but i just wasn't sure if that's what controls whether our not i can use my lever to adjust the throttle speed.

Link works fine on my 2 puters ..... HP desktop / Windows Vista .. HP desktop / Windows 10
that is the BRIGGS Engine O/H manual ... those sections are on the carburetor and governor

maybe another member has a different link to the... Briggs& Stratton Single Cylinder OHV Engine Manual

freshcut92

Threads
strange i keep getting an error saying cant provide a secure connection. Do you know what the purpose of the spring is for?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
strange i keep getting an error saying cant provide a secure connection. Do you know what the purpose of the spring is for?

without pics I don't know which spring you're talking about .. the very long spring on the throttle rod should operate the governor control linkage ... that is why I sent the manual link ..

you must have security software blocking access to the link ...I don't know your situation... sorry...

freshcut92

Threads
Thanks yes that worked! I see where they are talking about spring im just not sure its the same spring im talking about.

freshcut92

Threads
Yea i can when i get home from work. It looks like the normal set up i would assume with a manual choke briggs and stratton if that means anything? Do you know what spring im talking about that is wrapped around the governor/ throttle linkage that connects to the governor arm and top of the throttle on carb? Sorry for all the questions i've been stumped on why i can only adjust the throttle with the engine choked or going up a hill but can rev it while parked. I've been googling for a week and order that linkage spring that i gave the part number for but i dont even know what it does. lol