Landscaping Plastic - How Close to Young Trees?

9tenths

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a home and in the backyard there is a row of young Hemlock tress. I noticed that some of the trees (those on a bit of a hill) are not looking very healthy; whereas those on flat land are looking good. Taking a closer look, I found that there is non-porous landscaping plastic beneath the mulch around the trees, and it comes to within about 2 inches of the tree trunk. My theory is that the plastic is not allowing enough water to get to the roots of the trees. Does anyone have any advice on if and by how much I should cut the plastic back from the trees?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
At least as far as the width of the trees, as that is likely at least as far as the roots extend out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure what a USA Hemlock tree looks like.
If it has a round canopy then the roots feed under the edge of the leaves ( called the drip line ) if it is a strait tree like a pine then they feed closer to the trunk.
Unless your soil is very clay water will flow a very long way under the surface.
I hate plastic in any garden so I use several layers of wet newspaper.
The idea of it under the mulch is to prevent sunlight .
I use a sprinkle of blood & bone (+ lime is necessary), then 5 to 10 sheets of fully soaked newspaper ( must be black & white not glossy colour ) or old hairy carpet underlay.
You can use biodegrading mulch mats, but they are a touch on the expensive side.
The only real distance things is it must not touch the stem / trunk as it can cause fungal rot to happen so 2" away is fine.