John Deere D105 afterfire, fuel solenoid broken?

Srentre

Forum Newbie
Threads
Every time I shut off my mower, 1/3 idle and letting it idle down for a minute, it still backfires after shutting off the engine. It never used to do this before so I'm thinking the fuel solenoid died somehow. Is there anyway to check, specifically for a briggs engine? (obviously) Thanks!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Every time I shut off my mower, 1/3 idle and letting it idle down for a minute, it still backfires after shutting off the engine. It never used to do this before so I'm thinking the fuel solenoid died somehow. Is there anyway to check, specifically for a briggs engine? (obviously) Thanks!

You should hear a faint "CLICK" from the solenoid when you turn the key on & off...or you can use a 12 volt test light or meter to check the connector for voltage .
( I would venture to say it's a 17.5 HP model or in that range... you are NOT alone )

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I replaced a 17 hp briggs engine on a customers Toro that always backfired on shutoff. Engine dropped a valve which prompted the replacement. Installed a new 17.5 hp engine and hooked everything up started the engine, a run it for a few minutes. Then shut off the engine and about 2 seconds later. BANG. the only thing common between the two engines, was I had reused the exhaust system off of the old engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I replaced a 17 hp briggs engine on a customers Toro that always backfired on shutoff. Engine dropped a valve which prompted the replacement. Installed a new 17.5 hp engine and hooked everything up started the engine, a run it for a few minutes. Then shut off the engine and about 2 seconds later. BANG. the only thing common between the two engines, was I had reused the exhaust system off of the old engine.

I have to admit I read this post before and my curiosity is peaking... I wonder if the "other" muffler configurations for this H.P. series Briggs ... encounters the same "WAKE - UP" tune ?? ...:rolleyes: ..:confused3:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know Boobala, but worked on a new rider under warranty years ago with a briggs V-twin that would afterfire, and after going through the whole system part by part, the problem was eliminated when the muffler was replaced.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know Boobala, but worked on a new rider under warranty years ago with a briggs V-twin that would afterfire, and after going through the whole system part by part, the problem was eliminated when the muffler was replaced.

Was at a mower shop awhile back ... B/S n it ... with the Mechs. ... and it was brought up ...without a definite cure for the " BIG-BANG " musical from Briggs ...
BUT is was HOTLY kicked around about valve settings and the compression release feature ... I left BEFORE
there was any " blood-shed " ... ( LOL )

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some mufflers will remain red hot for longer than others.
Muffler not red hot, no ignition source.