Deck Belt for Hustler Raptor SD

Stingray69

Threads
I am looking to buy a spare belt for my 54" raptor sd. I am finding info saying it is a 5/8" x 143". Can anyone confirm this is the correct belt? Or does anyone have a source they used to by a good belt without paying stealer prices for OEM? I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a spare tension spring as well.

mhavanti

Threads
Stingray,

Here is the question from the Hustler Raptor SD Parts Manual and the pages that covers that:

54" Deck Pulleys & Spindles—S/N 15010708 & Higher. . . . . . . . . .6-26
54" Deck Pulleys & Spindles—S/N 14074307 to 15010707. . . . . . .6-28
54" Deck Pulleys & Spindles—S/N Prior to 14074307. . . . . . . . . . .6-30

Here is the parts manual for you as well.

AllDodge

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know if the Raptor breaks belts more then the Fastrak, but mine is a 2002 model and has yet to need a belt. When I bought it I asked if I should get a spare, the guy says it will dry rot probably before you break it, so far he was right

mhavanti

Threads
I have heard of a few that had problems. So far, I believe they are largely from the debris between the belt and pulley trapped by the overly tight belt/pulley cover. Fastrack is a bit more open according to those around me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know if the Raptor breaks belts more then the Fastrak, but mine is a 2002 model and has yet to need a belt. When I bought it I asked if I should get a spare, the guy says it will dry rot probably before you break it, so far he was right

Belts left open fully in a cool dark place will last forever.
Most people hang them on the wall where they get sunlight on them and the UV hardens the rubber and they set hard in the wound up position so crack & break when fitted.
Belts are made in runs of thousands or they would end up costing $ 500 each so a lot of the "fresh " belts bought from a shop will be anything up to 10 years old before you get your hands on them.
OEM exact replacement belts at a more realistic price are available from Oregon, Rotary , Prime Line & Stens dealers .

A fresh belt will open up full round when unwrapped with no kinks.
About 1 in 50 that I fit are fresh and yes fresh is better.
It is good practice when fitting a belt to fit it, leave it for 10 minutes or so, run it no load for another 10 minutes or so.
This allows the belt to get hot and the plasticisers in the belt to restore full flexiability and proper shape to the rubber before you put a heavy load on it.

AllDodge

Forum Newbie
Threads
Belts left open fully in a cool dark place will last forever.
Most people hang them on the wall where they get sunlight on them and the UV hardens the rubber and they set hard in the wound up position so crack & break when fitted.
Belts are made in runs of thousands or they would end up costing $ 500 each so a lot of the "fresh " belts bought from a shop will be anything up to 10 years old before you get your hands on them.
OEM exact replacement belts at a more realistic price are available from Oregon, Rotary , Prime Line & Stens dealers .

A fresh belt will open up full round when unwrapped with no kinks.
About 1 in 50 that I fit are fresh and yes fresh is better.
It is good practice when fitting a belt to fit it, leave it for 10 minutes or so, run it no load for another 10 minutes or so.
This allows the belt to get hot and the plasticisers in the belt to restore full flexiability and proper shape to the rubber before you put a heavy load on it.

Work for USN for 34 years in logistics, so I know about shelf life (cradle to grave 30+ years). Guy buys a brand new raptor and needs a belt a few years afterwards is what I'm thinking

That said, my comment would still be the same, but he was just looking for a spare, not a replacement. Maybe mhavanti might have the answer, don't know have to give it some time to see if the failure rate has increased for the given model

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Work for USN for 34 years in logistics, so I know about shelf life (cradle to grave 30+ years). Guy buys a brand new raptor and needs a belt a few years afterwards is what I'm thinking

That said, my comment would still be the same, but he was just looking for a spare, not a replacement. Maybe mhavanti might have the answer, don't know have to give it some time to see if the failure rate has increased for the given model

I have belts here that are better than 15 years old that I bought from a mower shop that closed down, 15 years ago.
They are fine, stored in the dark ( old shed ) and now they are in a box in my shed.
Fitted quite a few , no headaches provided I let them warm up and then settle before being loaded.
Unwrapped belts are a different matter.
Any one who does not have a spare set of belts for their mower is asking for trouble as according the Murphy's law they will break a belt while mowing the lawn prior to a function like kids wedding, just too late to go down the road & get a new one.
Buy one for spare & you have the luxury of buying aftermarket.
Got to fing a belt on the weekend and it will original equipment price Ouch !

577jersey

Threads
I get my spare deck belts from ebay for the sd.They are pretty cheap there!!
A tension spring is a must!! You can get a spring from TSC that works perfect for $4.
Id get a spare pump belt and tensioner spring too,they crack around 50 hours and mine was missing some chunks after 100 hours,they get really hot.
I also do a ton of huge slopes Im sure that add to the failure.