Reverse Bypass Button

BWH

Threads
As a proud new owner of a JD 180 LT I just took her out to give it a trial run, Worked Great! My question is I have never owned anything with a reverse kill switch much less one with a bypass so you can back up by pushing a button anyway. I have read that these modern safety functions are to keep from running children or anything over in reverse with the blades engaged? Maybe there is more to this theory but in my mind to install a reverse cutout switch then install a bypass button on the dash seems to make the problem worse. I can back up and turn my head and upper body fairly well to watch what's behind me but make me lean forward to push that button while holding onto the steering wheel plus run the hydro pedal with my foot! I can tell you that with all those points of contact not even a very limber person can turn their head to the rear to watch for any obstacle behind them.

Can anyone explain what I'm missing?

Please Hold The W--- A-- (intelligent Rear End) Answers,

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I haven't seen a system that requires you to hold the button, just press it and forget it. The original systems were due to children being ran over and maimed or killed by the blades. That system would kill the engine when placed in reverse with the blades engaged. The new system allows you to back up with the blades engaged, but you as the operator is required to manual manipulate the system to bypass the system. that way when somebody backs over their child, the mower manufacturer can say in court that the operator made a conscious decision to bypass the system, and by his own hand due to negligence killed their child.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I haven't seen a system that requires you to hold the button, just press it and forget it. The original systems were due to children being ran over and maimed or killed by the blades. That system would kill the engine when placed in reverse with the blades engaged. The new system allows you to back up with the blades engaged, but you as the operator is required to manual manipulate the system to bypass the system. that way when somebody backs over their child, the mower manufacturer can say in court that the operator made a conscious decision to bypass the system, and by his own hand due to negligence killed their child.

I have heard the same story but do not believe it for 1 second.
There is no way to run over child and chopping them up with the blades by reversing a mower.
You are going to do a lot of damage with nothing more than the tranny and then the deck will not lift enough for it to run over the child if the child was not aleady dead from lasserations caused by all the things that hang down.

However it does stop JD being sued if a idiot reverses over a live power cable on the lawn, frankly a more plausable story.

If the child thing was actually true the the same would have to apply to ZTR's if both levers are in reverse.