Mower died and will not start; Exhaust rocker off

tater24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have a HR215-HE mower with a GXV140 engine. Had it out for the first time year over the weekend. Checked the oil and air cleaner as always. Started right up. Cut half the yard then it died and would not restart. I changed the gas, cleaned the carb, replaced the plug, and verified spark and cutoff switch was functioning. Still would not start. On a whim I pulled the valve cover off and the rocker for the exhaust valve was not seated on the push rod and exhaust valve. Any ideas what would cause this? The rod looks okay but I can't seem to get it to seat properly on the lifter valve so I can move the rocker into place? Any thought?

apwillard1986

Threads
It may be as simple as a valve adjustment. Loosen the adjuster and reseat the rocker on the pushrod and valve. With the engine at tdc. Adjust valve clearance to spec. If that doesn't work you may have a bent pushrod or but that would be unusual.

tater24

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took a closer look at it last night and the stud had backed out causing the rocker to come off. The rod was still not seating like it should. I determined the lifter must be stuck since there was no movement when turning the engine over. Put a piece of wood on the rod and gave it a slight bump with a hammer and the lifter released. I set the valves at TDC. Replaced the valve cover gasket and reassembled everything this morning. Put it on choke and bang.. fired up on the first pull. Finished mowing the yard and it ran great. Seems like an odd issue but glad it was easy to correct.