engine issues on Husqvarna RZ4623 riding mower

danman928

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have multiple issues on my machine. I intended to mow my lawn for the first time this year this past weekend. Prior to doing so, I changed the oil and replaced the oil filter. Late in the year last fall, I was having issues getting the mower to start, and when I turned the key to the off machine, the engine still continued to crank. It didn't matter if I engaged the blades, took the emergency brake off, got off the seat - the engine still cranked. It wasn't until I disconnected the battery that it stopped. Fast forward to last weekend: After I changed the oil and filter, I thought that I would try starting the mower. Low and behold....it started right up! I was low on gas and my wife went and got some gas for me while I begun mowing. I went for 20 minutes without an issue. My wife returned with the gas and I put the e-brake on and filled the tank with the mower still running. Within a minute, the engine started pulsating, revving up and down, before finally stalling. I tried starting the mower several times, but it would only start, run a couple seconds, and stall again. Thinking that I maybe had stirred something up, I went out and purchased a new fuel filter and air filter. After replacing them, same issue. Then I would turn the key, and nothing would happen. When it finally did begin cranking again, it wouldn't start. Then the cranking after the key was off began again and I drained the battery. After pulling the battery and charging it, I tried starting the mower again, and it fired right up. Sensing a miracle, I ran in the house to grab my ear muffs. By the time I returned about a minute later, the engine had stalled. Now I can't even get it to crank. That's the best info that I can give you. I think I have multiple issues: bad ignition, bad solenoid and/or water/dirt in my fuel (I did put a little dry gas in the tank prior to the last time it ran for a minute). Does anyone have any suggestions on the proper way to attack the problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

OK now we need to do some communicating
Cranking is the engine turning over on the battery.
Running is the engine working under it's own.
Try to keep this in mind because it makes things a lot easier if we all understand one another.
Firstly remove the blower housing and check the thin wire that goes to the coil.
I will assume yours has fallen off. It is the kill wire and is what stops the engine ( usually )

The other think that causes the engine to stop is the fuel solenoid under the carb.
This is spring loaded closed so when battery power is off, it closes stopping fuel getting into the engine.

To me it sounds like your ignition switch is bad and the cut off wire has fallen off.

Did you buy the mower new or used ?
believe it or not there are idiots out there who pull all the safety switches off then sell the mower without telling the new owner how they have butchered the mower.

danman928

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much for replying to my issue! After researching for the best place to locate the parts in question, I took today off from work along with my wife in our attempt to repair the mower. For starters, the mower was completely dead on the turn of the ignition (no crank). Parts that I replaced today - 2 spark plugs, ignition switch and solenoid. Everything looked to be in good condition in regards to the wiring throughout the mower. After replacing everything, I turned the key - nothing. Lifted the seat - my wife checked the fuses - the 20 amp (yellow) fuse was fried. A quick trip to the auto parts store ensued. Replaced the fuse and she started right up. I believe the solenoid was the culprit from the get go, which then took out the fuse. Mowed for 45 minutes without any problems. To answer your question, I purchased the mower brand new. Now that the various parts have been replaced, all of the safety features work again! Just an FYI, the machine was purchased in 2011 and has a total of 88 hours on it. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!