Toro SS5060 Running on One Cylinder - Coil?

Slappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2011 SS5060 with the 23hp Kawasaki twin engine and about 250 hours on it. I noticed at the end of last season that it was starting to idle rough, but nothing serious. I chalked it up to a dirty carb. I've mowed three times this season and it still has a rough idle, but now it clearly lost power and the engine bogs down when mowing normal height grass. There is no smoke.

When I pulled the left spark plug, it was black and wet. It seems to be gas, not sure if there is any oil but it doesn't seem so. That cylinder does not get hot when running the engine, so it looks like that cylinder is not running.

I switched it with a new plug and I adjusted the air gap of the ignition coil, but no improvement. I'm thinking it's the ignition coil. The wiring should be fine, since the second coil is daisy-chained off the first one and is running fine.

Could I be missing anything?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a 2011 SS5060 with the 23hp Kawasaki twin engine and about 250 hours on it. I noticed at the end of last season that it was starting to idle rough, but nothing serious. I chalked it up to a dirty carb. I've mowed three times this season and it still has a rough idle, but now it clearly lost power and the engine bogs down when mowing normal height grass. There is no smoke.

When I pulled the left spark plug, it was black and wet. It seems to be gas, not sure if there is any oil but it doesn't seem so. That cylinder does not get hot when running the engine, so it looks like that cylinder is not running.

I switched it with a new plug and I adjusted the air gap of the ignition coil, but no improvement. I'm thinking it's the ignition coil. The wiring should be fine, since the second coil is daisy-chained off the first one and is running fine.

Could I be missing anything?

Yes you are missing something.
The coil is self energising magneto and thus are independent from each other.
The common wire is the shut off wire which grounds the coils/
Remove this wire and try again
I both coils work then the wire ( it has a diode in it ) is bad.
If the dead coil is still dead then time to bury it and buy a new one.

Slappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
It seems it's getting spark at both cylinders. I pulled the plug and grounded it to the block, then turned over the motor and I saw spark (with and without the kill wire attached).

Does this mean there is an internal engine issue, like valves or rings? There is no smoke coming from the exhaust.

There was a lot of grass clippings under the cowl limiting air flow. Could this be overheat damage?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It seems it's getting spark at both cylinders. I pulled the plug and grounded it to the block, then turned over the motor and I saw spark (with and without the kill wire attached).

Does this mean there is an internal engine issue, like valves or rings? There is no smoke coming from the exhaust.

There was a lot of grass clippings under the cowl limiting air flow. Could this be overheat damage?

Overheating is a more common problem than duff coils.
Pull the rocker covers off and watch the valves.
Both inlet & exhaust should be at the same height when they are closed.
Excessive heat allows the valve guide to shift in the head.
I have never been able to fix it but Tinker seems to have it down pat.

Slappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bertsmobile1!