B & S Engine Mower Running Rough

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Toro push mower 20332 that has a B & S engine 6.75 HP. I am having a problem getting the engine to start and then when it does start it runs rough. I have disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it thoughly and reassembled it. The spark plug is good and has been changed.

Any suggestions on anything else to try or what the problem could be?

primerbulb120

Threads
Kenny,

Glad to see you back again! Did you ever fix that Troy Bilt trimmer?

Could you get the model number off the mower engine for me? I looked up the mower model, but I'm not really clear on which type of Briggs and Stratton engine it has.

Kennykenny

Threads
The model is 20332. Are you meaning the serial number? It is, 290088286. I did get the Troy-bilt fixed thanks to you....

primerbulb120

Threads

alitterit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you run a small piece of wire or anything through all the small passages/jets inside the carb while cleaning it? Just this past winter I was fixing a snowblower with the same issue and I could see through the jet when I held it up to the light but still had an issue once back together. Took it back apart ran a wire through everything and sure enough gunk was on the end of the wire after running it through one of the jets and it was just enough gunk left in there to cause an issue cause it ran just fine afterwards.

Kennykenny

Threads

Attachments

• Number.jpg
    Number.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 16

Kennykenny

Threads
Did you run a small piece of wire or anything through all the small passages/jets inside the carb while cleaning it? Just this past winter I was fixing a snowblower with the same issue and I could see through the jet when I held it up to the light but still had an issue once back together. Took it back apart ran a wire through everything and sure enough gunk was on the end of the wire after running it through one of the jets and it was just enough gunk left in there to cause an issue cause it ran just fine afterwards.

I took apart the carb and soaked in carb cleaner and also took a pin and stuck it in the each hole in the cup bolt and the carb holes.

primerbulb120

Threads
When you say "runs rough." Does it sputter and pop, does it surge or does it do all of the above? Also, does it produce any smoke while running?

Kennykenny

Threads
When you say "runs rough." Does it sputter and pop, does it surge or does it do all of the above? Also, does it produce any smoke while running?

It is more or a sputter and the engine HP never gets to full power. I have been able to get the engine to start now after about 5 pulls but the power never gets to full speed. I am able to get the engine to rev up by manually moving the spring that moves the throttle above the carb. As mowing, the engine revving goes up and down. Speeds up a bit and lowers down a bit but never reaches a full consistent power sound.

primerbulb120

Threads
This is an autochoke engine, right? No primer bulb? If so, I think that's the problem. Either the autochoke linkage is hooked up wrong, or the actuator spring on the muffler has failed.