B & S Engine Mower Running Rough

primerbulb120

Threads
According to your picture, the throttle valve is not hooked up to anything. Thus, it is randomly vibrating around and causing the engine to run at random speeds. I'm on my tablet so I can't circle the problem, but here's a page that shows how everything is supposed to be attached. Note that the engine pictured does not have autochoke.

Compare it to your picture and I think you'll see the problem. http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_lms_carb_linkages.asp Don't follow any of the instructions on the page, just hook up the linkage the way it's shown.

I'm surprised the mower ran long enough for you to use it the first two times!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll try to do it for you.

The rod with the small red circle around it has and end that is not visible in this picture. That end goes in the hole in the throttle shaft in the big red circle.

I think.LM2.JPG

Kennykenny

Threads
According to your picture, the throttle valve is not hooked up to anything. Thus, it is randomly vibrating around and causing the engine to run at random speeds. I'm on my tablet so I can't circle the problem, but here's a page that shows how everything is supposed to be attached. Note that the engine pictured does not have autochoke.

Compare it to your picture and I think you'll see the problem. http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_lms_carb_linkages.asp Don't follow any of the instructions on the page, just hook up the linkage the way it's shown.

I'm surprised the mower ran long enough for you to use it the first two times!

Wow, really??? How could I have missed that....If I had not put that back in place when I put on the new carb, like you say, I am surprised that I would have gotten a few mowings out of it. I will put that back on and let you know how it goes.

primerbulb120

Threads
I'm guilty of missing it a few times as well. :ashamed:

Kennykenny

Threads
I'm guilty of missing it a few times as well. :ashamed:

My misery with the Toro mower continues. The mower ia finally running smooth. Now I go to start it and no luck. Upon looking over the mower I notice the slack in the cable and a hanging spring under the handle(both in the pics). I am assuming that this is now my new problem. I am assuming that thiis is causing there not to be enough gas to going to the carb.(?)

How do I go about fixing this one? Any idea what part number for the spring or at least the name of it so I know what to look for to get one?

I think that this mower is possessed.:mad:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think that cable controls the blade brake and kill switch.

I'm not sure that spring is broken, either.

Kennykenny

Threads
Attached is another pic. I know that the spring controls the cable that has slag in it now. When I used a vice grip to move the cable toward the front of the mower(as in the picture) and had someone else pull the rope, the engine started.

I am still attempting to figure out the name of the broken spring and how to replace it. Any help?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 10

primerbulb120

Threads
Here's what's going on:

1. The cable that connects to the engine is basically a kill switch. The other end is connected to the operator presence bar (the bar you release to stop the mower.) In your case, the cable has come loose from it's mount on the handle, so when you hold the bar down it doesn't put tension on the cable. See the white zip tie on the handle? It's hanging next to a plastic bracket. The plastic bracket has a large hole in the top, parallel to the cable. I'm not sure how the cable got out of that hole, but it needs to be going through that hole in order for the mechanism to work properly. Disconnect it at the engine (easier than doing it at the handle) and thread it through the hole. Then hook it back up to the engine. If cpurvis sees this, hopefully he can circle the parts I'm talking about. I'm on my tablet again and can't edit pictures.

2. The broken spring (yes, it is broken) has nothing to do with the engine not starting. It's part of the self propel mechanism. Unless the self propel systems starts acting weird (the mower doesn't want to stop moving) I would leave it alone. I think I disconnected that spring on my old Toro to make it easier to operate, and I don't remember having any issues as a result.