FH680V Revs, will not idle down

Royse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just rebuilt this engine because it was tired and burning oil. New rings, valves, etc.
The carb was not touched other than new gasket on the intake and air cleaner since it ran fine.
The governor rod and fork were not removed from the pan casing.

On first startup it wanted to rev way up and would not idle down.
I didn't let it run that way.

I've checked that the throttle does close the carb all the way as it should.
I got it to run a little slower, about half throttle with the throttle all the way off.
The governor arm and linkage move freely and when I run them by hand the engine responds as expected.
Is there an external adjustment that could cause this or did I miss something when I put the pan back on?

Royse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks BlazNT, that was a pretty strange video, but relevant.
I checked and double checked that adjustment. It is set per the Kawi manual which agrees with that video.
Moving the control assembly to the very bottom of the slots is how I got it to slow down some, but it's still way too fast and without proper control.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally would check to see if the governor is connected right inside of the engine.

adamwartman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any luck on this? I have the exact same issue.
thanks

Royse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any luck on this? I have the exact same issue.
thanks
If you have exactly the same problem, that you disassembled it and put it back together, I "think" I have found my problem.
I put the bottom cover on with the engine upside-down and I "think" that I didn't hold the governor linkage in the right direction when I reassembled it.
I have fixed that now, but have not put the engine back in to prove that this was in fact the issue.
When I do, I'll post an update to let everyone know.
Hopefully that will happen this coming week.

Royse

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have exactly the same problem, that you disassembled it and put it back together, I "think" I have found my problem.
I put the bottom cover on with the engine upside-down and I "think" that I didn't hold the governor linkage in the right direction when I reassembled it.
I have fixed that now, but have not put the engine back in to prove that this was in fact the issue.
When I do, I'll post an update to let everyone know.
Hopefully that will happen this coming week.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Life happened, my mom passed away and I didn't get back to this very quickly.
Anyway, yes, I had assembled the engine with the governor linkage in the wrong position.
After taking the bottom pan back off and assembling it with the linkage correct, it now works correctly.

Now I have a different issue with it loading up with fuel at idle but I'll start a new thread for help with that.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry to hear about your Mom passing. I know that feeling, mine in 2014