32hp. Vanguard big block Oil filter

Chugbug

Threads
I'm looking for information for a oil filter for my 32hp. Vanguard big block Ferris 3200. I've done research and it gets confusing...what I found was the B&S filter is a 492932S...WIX shows 57035 ......Fram....PH8170. Any one using something different or suggestions?? I'm going to use synthetic oil. Any suggestions

Neil P

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have always been a fan of Luberfiner filters. I use the LF3656 on my Briggs engine. That number crosses over to your Brigg & Stratton number.

492932S filter crossover list

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few recommendations from a retired mech:
If your engine is still on warranty, use Briggs oil filters. The Briggs 492932 has been replaced with 696854 which has improved filtering for higher HP small engines.
I don't recommend switching to synthetic engine oil until the engine has around 50 hours on it. Allow the engine to break in with non synthetic oil as full synthetic oil has a very strong detergent quality to it that can prolong break in and sometimes not allow it to happen.
Actually non detergent oil is best for engine break in, however it is not stocked by most dealers in the weights that are recommended for small engines in addition to the fact that it foams excessively which can be problematic in small air cooled engines.

Chugbug

Threads
Thanks for the info!

Chugbug

Threads
Mad Mackie, what would you run in the 32hp Vanguard big block?? Looking at the recommendations in the manual. Was at the dealer today and they recommend 10-40 and not to run synthetic until I reached at least 100 hours. 10-40 is not mentioned in the manual....thoughts any one??

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what HP they are cutting it off at, but Briggs just came out with a new full synthetic 20w50 for use in the large big block Vanguard engines, Designed for prolonged running in high temperature areas. I keep hearing people say that synthetic won't allow engines to break in correctly, but there are thousands of engines in vehicles that the only recommended oil is full synthetic. I am sure those engines didn't leave the factory with dino oil in the crankcase for break in.

Small engine manufacturers use to have a thing in the owners manuals not to run synthetic for the first 50-100 hours to allow break in but that has been removed from the manuals, or at least Kohler has, and I would bet Briggs did to, since they have 2 grades of synthetic oil under their own brand name.

Chugbug

Threads
I saw that as well but my dealer said to run 10-40 which is not under the recommendations and synthetic after 100 hours. I'm thinking about calling someone at Briggs. I want to get it right and not screw the engine up.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
ILENGINE,
Ever heard the expression "do as I say not as I do"?
Being in Illinois, you may know someone who works at an auto manufacturing plant, ask them what is in those 20,000 gallon railroad tank cars that roll into the assembly plants. Antifreeze, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, what kind of engine oil?
When small engines are delivered to a mower manufacturer in a dry condition, what does the manufacturer put in the engines, the answer may astound you, it did me!!!:confused2:

Chugbug

Threads
LOL trying to do it right so I went with factory filter and HD30 Castrol. I made a few phone calls and got almost every weight of oil imaginable but they all agreed with the factory filter. 10 hrs. is in the books

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
ILENGINE,
Ever heard the expression "do as I say not as I do"?
Being in Illinois, you may know someone who works at an auto manufacturing plant, ask them what is in those 20,000 gallon railroad tank cars that roll into the assembly plants. Antifreeze, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, what kind of engine oil?
When small engines are delivered to a mower manufacturer in a dry condition, what does the manufacturer put in the engines, the answer may astound you, it did me!!!:confused2:

I can only imagine what some of that stuff is. I have found engine oil residue from the factory testing that resembled bar oil rather than regular engine oil. And what was in that 20,000 gallon rail car prior to having engine oil in it, Naphtha solvent or some other caustic chemical.

Has an uncle that worked at a power plant, that used a specific brand of turbine oil, but changed after the company was purchased. They changed to that companies oil and immediately started having problems with the filters plugging up and shutting down the turbine. Come to find out the company was putting their turbine oil in used barrels, and the residue was causing problems with the operation of the generator. This turbine held 1500 gallon of oil.