weird/uncommon no start issue...

alitterit

Forum Newbie
Threads
So as the title states I am having a weird no start issue with a tractor I just acquired with the Kawi FB460V motor (Deere 160 - Year unknown). Was told the mower ran last year but wouldn't restart if you shut it down once hot, since this one was older they went out and got a new mower. It cranks but wont even sputter let alone start but I have good compression, very good spark and fuel. Tried starting fluid as well and still not even a sputter so I figured I'd ask before I dug to far into and started wasting time incase there is a common issue with these that my search didn't show me.

Telesis

Threads
I wouldn't call it a common problem with this motor but a common problem exhibiting the symptoms you describe is a sheared flywheel key. That doesn't necessarily jive with what the seller told you about last year's operation but whenever you have the big three (ignition, fuel, and compression) and you get nothing even with ether, I immediately suspect timing and the most common cause is the flywheel key being sheared.

Good luck. You should be able to pull it from above without pulling the whole motor.

alitterit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Telesis Thanks, timing was the only thing that I was figuring could be the issue but like you said it doesn't go with what I was told about it. I was going to check the coil to see if that may have moved any for whatever reason but didn't think of the flywheel key shearing. Hopefully I can look and see if the keyways in both the flywheel and the crank are inline by removing the nut on the end of the crank. hopefully it is just something as easy as replacing the key and I can get it back up and running then I can address the fuel pump and hoses and get to mowing.

alitterit

Forum Newbie
Threads
FIXED IT, and I'm and idiot haha... With everything going on at the new house and rushing to get this fixed, while I saw that I had spark at the plug I never noticed that it wasn't getting spark from the plug gap and that it was just jumping to the block. Once I noticed that I realized the plug had to be bad, swapped it out with a used known good one as a test and fired right up...

Admin can delete this thread, unless someone can show me the way to delete this myself. Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
FIXED IT, and I'm and idiot haha... With everything going on at the new house and rushing to get this fixed, while I saw that I had spark at the plug I never noticed that it wasn't getting spark from the plug gap and that it was just jumping to the block. Once I noticed that I realized the plug had to be bad, swapped it out with a used known good one as a test and fired right up...

Admin can delete this thread, unless someone can show me the way to delete this myself. Thanks.

We do not delete threads here. This will be a good lesson for others having the same problem. It really is going to be a great learning lesson,.