Craftsman Gold Lawn Mower with starting issue

2kidssdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Craftsman Gold / Briggs and Stratton mower about 3 years old. I have never had an issue with it until just recently. This is what has been occurring lately: I pull the mower out of the garage and with a couple of pulls it fires right up. I begin mowing...stopping to empty the grass catcher as things go on. After a while and maybe as many as 4 or 5 short stops to empty the grass...the next time it's just not going to start again. I could pull on that rope 100 times and it's not gonna start. It almost acts like it is out of fuel but that is not the case. Now here's the kicker: If I just walk away and come back in about 20 minutes it will fire right up again with one pull. Guaranteed...every time. I just can't make any sense of this.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be an overheat problem,

check oil level... (also is it clean ? )
check engine cooling fins and engine shroud for dirt or clippings buildup
carburetor choke is flooding engine

primerbulb120

Threads
I own a Craftsman Gold / Briggs and Stratton mower about 3 years old. I have never had an issue with it until just recently. This is what has been occurring lately: I pull the mower out of the garage and with a couple of pulls it fires right up. I begin mowing...stopping to empty the grass catcher as things go on. After a while and maybe as many as 4 or 5 short stops to empty the grass...the next time it's just not going to start again. I could pull on that rope 100 times and it's not gonna start. It almost acts like it is out of fuel but that is not the case. Now here's the kicker: If I just walk away and come back in about 20 minutes it will fire right up again with one pull. Guaranteed...every time. I just can't make any sense of this.

Two things I can think of that could be causing your problem:

1. If this mower has an automatic choke, the choke mechanism may be malfunctioning and flooding the engine.

2. You could have a bad spark plug.

I would start by replacing the spark plug. If you take a picture of the engine or give me the model number, I'll tell you which replacement spark plug to get. :cool: