GCV160 Pressure Washer Detergent in Gas Tank

rfjohns1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This post is for a GCV160 Pressure Washer, and not a lawn mower, but since its the same motor I was hoping for some advice.

Detergent was accidentally put into the gas tank and the motor did run until obviously the detergent made it's way in. I had flushed the gas tank and the carburetor and got it to run. After leaving idle for 3-4 months it will not start. I did change the plug. Also I checked that it is getting spark.

I'm wondering if any detergent residue may have damaged gaskets, etc.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Would I have to rebuild the carb for example?

Thanks for any advice!

Rob

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to "clean" everything in the fuel system. I doubt that detergent is harsher than gas but it sure does not flow like gas. Pull the carb and use carb cleaner to clean out all the little holes. Take your time and do every little hole. Carbs for hondas are somewhat cheap so a replacement may be in order. Just make sure all the soap is gone first. Fuel tank, Fuel lines, Fuel cut off valves. Fuel filters and spark plug. Clean or replace all.

rfjohns1

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to "clean" everything in the fuel system. I doubt that detergent is harsher than gas but it sure does not flow like gas. Pull the carb and use carb cleaner to clean out all the little holes. Take your time and do every little hole. Carbs for hondas are somewhat cheap so a replacement may be in order. Just make sure all the soap is gone first. Fuel tank, Fuel lines, Fuel cut off valves. Fuel filters and spark plug. Clean or replace all.

I gave cleaning a try with some carb cleaner. I thought I was successful at first when it started up. But then it died again. I think it probably was just running on the carb cleaner. I think I will go the new carb route.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I gave cleaning a try with some carb cleaner. I thought I was successful at first when it started up. But then it died again. I think it probably was just running on the carb cleaner. I think I will go the new carb route.

Clean gas tank and fuel lines with running water until no suds. When done with water use some carb cleaner to get rid of water. Replace fuel filter. Make sure this is done before new carb.

rfjohns1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally got around to replacing the carb. Flushed the system first. Started right up on 3rd pull. Fixed! Thanks for the help.