Poor cut with deck near higher setting

gasjr4wd

Threads
Has anyone else noticed the mowers don't cut very well the higher you raise the deck?
SD 54"
It seems to cut perfect from mid to lower but I'm trying to leave the grass high. It seems the deck isn't creating enough suction... seems like the deck isn't tall enough. Is this why the higher end models have a taller deck? Anyone try adding rubber or brush around the deck to 'lower' it and create more suction?
It does do a little better when going slow... and I'm trying to get away from cutting twice each time. Seems like anything above 3.5" questionable and 4-4.5" is out of the question.
And no, it's not a issue with a dirty deck or dull blades.

mhavanti

Threads
Gas,

Last year to help my bermuda fill in quite a few bare spots that has very little dirt covering shale. I cut my bermuda at 3.75 early, then moved it to 4 inches until late October and began cutting it back to 2 and a half inches for the winter.

My SD always makes the lawn look like cut pile carpet. Smooth as a baby's butt and twice as clean.

Check your blades. If the edge is slightly rolled, it isn't going to cut as clean since the blade of grass is freer to move away from the blade when it is being hit at 18900 blade tip speed. Sharper is always better and if anyone tells you the rounded edge is best. Take a look at your grass when using a clean cut sharper edge. Grass is just like a piece of wood. Use a dull chisel or saw blade, the wood furrs out when cutting. Same for grass.

Hope you find the solution to your cutting aesthetics.

Good luck,

Max

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, just how it is and the thinner the grass the worse. I can get away with cutting dense turf at 4 inches but if it's thin 3.5 inches seems to be the max for a quality cut in one pass. This is running Exmark machines with the Trivantage deck. Results may vary...

gasjr4wd

Threads
Yeah, just how it is and the thinner the grass the worse. I can get away with cutting dense turf at 4 inches but if it's thin 3.5 inches seems to be the max for a quality cut in one pass. This is running Exmark machines with the Trivantage deck. Results may vary...

Exactly.
The tall thin stuff is still there after I go over it. The dense thick stuff pretty much cuts good.
Seems to be in the middle of the deck more so than the outer sides, but then there are times that it's the full width.
I didn't get any picts or vid but will next cut. (calling for rain the next 3 days so...)
I've got about 1.5 acres I didn't get to on my last cut so it's going to be even taller when I do cut.
I still have the baging blade on the shoot side and it has much more lift. I used it to suck up pine needles a few months ago but i don't think this has anything to do with this issue as that is only 30% of the blades.
I did just pull the deck and cleaned it out thinking that may help. I _may_ have but really not sure, if any.
Blades did look sharp but not shave your face sharp. Looked like when they came when new. I'll sharpen them next week. I really do like a razor sharp blade when I do it.
I really think it's a lack of suction thing.

mhavanti

Threads
gas,

Don't forget to check your blade for balance also. Many ways to do that so choose one and like a story, stick to it so you get good at it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Keeping your deck clean will definitely help.

gasjr4wd

Threads
gas,

Don't forget to check your blade for balance also. Many ways to do that so choose one and like a story, stick to it so you get good at it.

Yes, I've got one of those cone things that I've used for about 20 years. That and a hand file does wonders.

mhavanti

Threads
The best file you can have in your tool chest is a 12" Lathe File. You can draw file a blade in just a few moments to a perfect edge and keep it at the correct angle. Glad to hear you're using a file. You can also check the hardness of the edge and most blades don't have much hardness.

You can harden the outermost .025 of the blade and it will last quite a while before sharpening again.

I have the original blades on a 1996 Yardman that have only been sharpened once in all those years. I hardened the edge to a Rockwell C on the leading edge and they're harder than Chinese Arithmetic.

Have fun.