help dyt 4000

denthefish

Threads
Hi new here --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again -- I can let it idle all day - no issues - I replaced the head gasket --- maybe I adjusted the valves wrong -- HELP ! once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi new here --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again -- I can let it idle all day - no issues - I replaced the head gasket --- maybe I adjusted the valves wrong -- HELP ! once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine

A engine model number would help. Yes tight valves would cause this to happen. You might want to do a leak-down test.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the engine then run it for a shot while then turn it off.
After the engine has stopped turning, remove the oil filler cap.
If it smokes the heqad gasket has blown, a very common problem with Inteks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why did you change the head gasket. When you changed the head gasket did you repair the reason the old gasket went bad?

denthefish

Threads
Why did you change the head gasket. When you changed the head gasket did you repair the reason the old gasket went bad?

When I replaced the head gasket - it was not blown it was fine but i put the new one on --- I thought the smoking issue was the head gasket - I have a troy bilt tractor and every 3 years the gasket will blow out and need replaced (design flaw)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I understand you have a heat related problem and the head gasket is installed proper. Lets start from there. First as you suggested valve adjustment. The heat will expand a tight valve to the point it will not seal proper. The next thing is a bad ignition module (coil). Are the engine cooling fins free and clear, no mice nest or grass plugging them.

denthefish

Threads
Thanks --- not overheating -- runs for ten minutes cutting grass then it happens

then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again within seconds

Trying to restart it - it will just crank and crank and not start ---- let it sit for 1/2 hour - starts right up and will run for another 10 minutes

The valve adjust was on the high side .006 - no nests

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
-- HELP ! once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine

This is what you said? Are you getting a good fuel flow? Plugged fuel vent, all good clean filters, air and fuel. Spark, fuel, compression, and timing and it will run.