Snapper Flooding

djm1951

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon. I am new to this forum. I have a Snapper rear engine rider, Model 28B702. I just bought it used and the guy started it and it rand good. Brought it home, parked it and covered it with a tarp due rain coming. Few days later was going to use it and smelled gas from under tarp. Pulled off tarp, moved on to the patio, and tried to start it. Would not start. Pulled plug and it was full of fuel. Left plug out and pulled cord and lots of fuel came out of muffler and spark plug hole. Let it sit for a day of 2. Just went out a bit ago and played with it and got it to start but would not stay running and was still spitting fuel out of muffler. Kept pulling plug and drying it off and pulling cord to expel excess gas. Still the same, starts but won't stay running but for a few seconds. What is wrong with it? What do I need to do to fix or would it be used as a boat anchor? LOL. Please assist. Got to get it fixed, to hard on me to use a push mower. thanks in advance.

mattm55

Threads
Stop immediately and make sure there is no gas in the oil. Then we can go further.

Matt

dougw

Threads
If you have gas in the oil would say change the oil, and get a carb rebuild kit.
Sounds like either the float is stuck down on something but more likely the needle and seat need to be replaced
because they are not closing and stopping the fuel flow.

mattm55

Threads
...and it would be a great time to put an inline fuel shutoff on as that could prevent this from happening again. If you ran the engine with diluted oil, you could have caused harm to the engine. So disconnect carb (fuel supply) and change oil and then fix the carb.

If your not mechanical, you can have someone else rebuild carb, order a new one or if you are mechanical, get the carb kit as suggested and take your time cleaning.

Matt