Aluminum deck clean up

viperv10

Threads
Hi fellows,
I bought a 1993 model 10415 Gold Lawn Boy. The deck looks terrible. Half the paint is off of it. The bare metal is covered in a white/ gray powder, some type of oxidation I guess. The paint peels off in sheets. It looks like the paint and primer is coming off together. Its green on the top and a rusty red on the bottom side of the paint chips. Even under the paint the aluminum is all rough with some kind corrosion. Iv'e seen this before on a couple other late 90's aluminum lawn boys.
Iv'e never seen this before on the older models. Any way my question is what is the best way to prep an aluminum deck to repaint? I didn't know if sandblasting
would be ok or a chemical paint stripper to get what paint that is left, off the deck. And also, the rest of the deck that is rough and oxidized, what would be the best thing to use on it. Sanding, scotch brite, wire wheel? I have a friend that has a sandblaster but I wasn't sure if that would be too rough on the surface or not. Thanks to anyone who has any comments or past experience with this issue to give me some tips on this project.
Jerry

jp1961

Threads
Hi Jerry,

You can sandblast the deck to remove the old paint. Works best if you have a fairly large air compressor. I've used chemical paint stripper too. A wire wheel will remove most of the oxidation. You should use zinc chromate primer over bare aluminum. I painted this Toro with an automotive spray gun and NAPA enamel with hardener. Rattle cans work good too, most guys are using grabber green engine enamel (very close match to original Lawn-Boy green).

Sandblasting does leave somewhat of a matte surface, that IMO, gives the primer a good surface to hold on to.

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00071 (1).jpg
    DSC00071 (1).jpg
    190 KB · Views: 30

Lawnboy77

Threads
I really like the media/sand blasting and powder coating for these decks. The powder is available in a nearly exact match to the original green and the durability is unmatched.

This mower in the pic was powder coated about 6 years ago and is a daily driver that I use to cut a few different properties, even as a beater the deck really has no bare metal to speak of. This one was one of those typical gold series with the flaking original paint and serious oxidation as well, now it has a protective coating that is probably better than what OMC was doing back in the old days.

jp1961

Threads
Lawnboy77,

Dang, I must admit, for a "daily driver" for over 6 years, she still looks like new.

Regards

Jeff:thumbsup:

Lawnboy77

Threads
Lawnboy77,

Dang, I must admit, for a "daily driver" for over 6 years, she still looks like new.

Regards

Jeff:thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff, I'm pretty easy on my equipment. I let my weedwacker do all the close trim work, which really saves the coating and aluminum on the sides. I expect this holds true with all of us lawn guys here on these internet forums and when I see a deck with rub rash on the sides it is more than likely from a previous owner. I cringe when I see some of my neighbors mowing and they basically just use curbs, or the side of the house for a side board by letting the deck slide up against the concrete and pushing it with no concern at all as to what it is doing to the deck. I'm sorry but if any of those types want to borrow one of my mowers I'm probably going to have to say "No". LOL I hate to turn down a neighbor in need, but us lawn guys have to draw the line. I think I would just be honest and tell them that I'd be happy to cut their lawn until they could get theirs repaired, or replaced, I can't loan any out.

Rex

viperv10

Threads
Thanks guys for your replies. I just got home from work. Could you guys explain how to post pictures on this forum? I don't have a clue how. I read somewhere that you go into settings to do something, but I can't even find the settings. I would like you to see this deck before I do anything with it. Jeff I see your photo is a thumbnail attachment and Lawn Boy 77's is a full size photo without clicking on it. So I guess there is different ways of posting them.
Can you get zinc chromate primer in a spray can or do you have to use a spray gun? Another thing I was thinking about was can you paint the plastic shrouds and gas tanks?
Thanks,
Jerry

jp1961

Threads
Hi Jerry,

You may be able to find zinc chromate primer in a spray can at a boat supply shop like West Marine.

I download pictures using the Manage Attachments button below. Click choose file then load the picture from your computer. I had problems before using an old Mac, but now have a new Mac and can post pictures without any problems.

I don't think polypropylene plastic can be painted (with any longevity),,,not much sticks to it.

Regards

Jeff

Lawnboy77

Threads
Below is a link to some zinc chromate primer in a spray can. I haven't read the particulars of this product, but normally aluminum will get some type of conversion coating like a product called Alodine 1200 prior to the application of a zinc chromate primer. Aluminum, or aluminum alloys can be kinda tricky to paint, and expensive with some real nasty chemicals to deal with.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/marp...J9cSbamy2JAfwdzZ5LmUX40WHdWhuvV1slRoC_T7w_wcB

I have painted the plastics before with decent success. I just scuff it up real good with 320 sand paper and prime with plastic primer then shoot the top coat. The key is to scuff it up, or de-gloss it.

parkboy

Threads
Hi Jerry,

You can sandblast the deck to remove the old paint. Works best if you have a fairly large air compressor. I've used chemical paint stripper too. A wire wheel will remove most of the oxidation. You should use zinc chromate primer over bare aluminum. I painted this Toro with an automotive spray gun and NAPA enamel with hardener. Rattle cans work good too, most guys are using grabber green engine enamel (very close match to original Lawn-Boy green).

Sandblasting does leave somewhat of a matte surface, that IMO, gives the primer a good surface to hold on to.

Regards

Jeff

After I have used a rotary brass wire brush to remove the old paint, I have found that Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer (7780830) works really good as a primer for the Grabber Green.

Parkboy

javjacob

Threads
Chemical strip is the best way to go. Evapo-rust works like magic for removing rust and corrosion from any metal without doing any harm to the metal. Wire wheels will leave scratch marks on aluminum.