Rusty mower deck on 16 year old Cub Cadet

frisbeguy4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with a rusty mower deck? Several years ago I applied Por 15 (Rust Prevention Paint). Over time it has pealed and come off. It is very expensive! Presently I am sanding the rust off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with a rusty mower deck? Several years ago I applied Por 15 (Rust Prevention Paint). Over time it has pealed and come off. It is very expensive! Presently I am sanding the rust off.

This is a QUEST of manhood !! ........ RUST NEVER SLEEPS !!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

If POR 15 is peeling off you did not apply it properly in the first place.
It has to go over sound material.

I never go the lazy way and do the full POR 15 Chassis coat, over bare metal.
Have been using it for 40 years and never ever had it lift.

Get the deck paint stripped by a commercial paint stripping company because they will do it it very well and it is really cheap.
Then metal clae over that followed by the prep coat then the POR 15 then what ever top coat you like.
POR 15 chassis coat is impervious to water so it will never allow rust to form under it but it is not UV stable so it must have a a heavy top coating.
I generally do 3 coats of colour over the top of the POR15.
Have been doing motorcycles & classic cars like this for decades and never had failure yet.