Cutting height?

Kevin O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to know what height you guys recommend cutting at?
Thanks, Kevin

Kevin O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Duh... Probably should have added that. I'm up in the northeast so it's all cool season grass mostly Kentucky bluegrass.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Duh... Probably should have added that. I'm up in the northeast so it's all cool season grass mostly Kentucky bluegrass.

Kentucky blue grass needs to be cut often and should be cut at around two and a half inches (2 1/2") Give it about an inch then cut it back to 2 1/2 again and water it often.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm in Connecticut too and my cutting heights on my customers lawns range from 2.5 to 4 inches depending on the lawn and the time of year. 3 inches is about right for most lawns here increasing to 3.5 to 4 inches in mid summer to keep them from burning out.

lewb

Threads
I cut my lawn at 3.5 last year (kbg,fescue,rye). It seemed to be too long as the grass had a tendency to lay over. This year I am going to cut at 3 inches.

sidemouse

Threads
Depends on your mower and deck size, too...
Generally speaking the larger the deck the higher you should cut but some mowers allow higher settings than others.

My mowers are set to the highest each will go, not all mowers can go as high.
I cut at 4" with my 21" Honda and 48" Toros, and 5.75" with the 60" Ztr's.

You will usually have to get into some pretty wide decks before getting much past that 4" setting, although there may be a few smaller decks that allow it.

I'm in zone 8 where it's mostly fescue, some zoysia and some bermuda.
Oh and we have crap grass as well, plenty of it too.

TonyPrin

Threads

In Connecticut (like me), bluegrass should be cut to 2.5" to 3.5" with the lower limit not recommended for mid-June through August. Keep in mind you shouldn't cut more than 1/3 of the height in a mowing. Thus, if you want to maintain a 3" lawn, you can let it grow to 4" which is great for root development. Also, some bluegrass varieties are resistant to rapid decomposition. That means you may want to pick up at least 1/2 your clippings to avoid a build-up.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Grass Type
Mowing Height
Bahia grass2” – 3”
Bentgrass¼” – ¾”
Bermuda½” – 1½”
Buffalograss2” – 3”
Centipede1½” – 2½”
Fine fescue1½” – 2½”
Kentucky Bluegrass1½” – 2½”