8hp runs then shuts off

noflipside

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 8hp generator which I cleaned the carb on as it had sat for awhile. Engine starts up, runs at governed speed for about 1 to 2 minutes then shuts down like engine was shut off. I choke it and it will start right up again. I had thought maybe something was over heating but it will start right up after it shuts itself off. Fuel system appears to be fine. I would think that if it was fuel then it would stumble and hesitate.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Low oil shutdown not working properly or maybe oil level is low.

noflipside

Forum Newbie
Threads
This engine does not have the sensor for that, now I am wondering if there is something within the generator itself like an internal overload etc, but I would think there would have to be some sort of connection(electrical) between the gen part and the engine which is not apparent. I did notice that while I had it running and I tried to operate a circular saw that the engine stopped.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My other thought is you have a fuel restriction. You are getting enough fuel to fill the carb, but not enough to keep it full when the engine is running. Remove the fuel line from the carb, and see what kind of fuel flow you are getting at that point. Fuel line should run full. If that pans out, then check for a fuel restriction from the fuel inlet on the carb to the needle valve.

I am now thinking something is partially clogged. Even a float that is not setting level because of misadjustment, or if you have the rubber seat, maybe it swells and is restricting flow.

noflipside

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did do a fuel flow test the other day BUT maybe not for long enough. I keep going back to a fuel issue. Thanks

noflipside

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appears to have been maybe a stuck float, ran for ten minutes..

Thanks for the replies