Replacing a Honda mower muffler with a quieter one

Elpigo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, here is my problem. I'm a musician and an avid grass caterer. I own a HRR2162SDC Honda mower and I find the noise quite annoying. When I mow my grass, I have to wear an over the ear protector coupled with a pair of in-ear hearing protector. Fact is I remember a former brother in law that owned a Honda mower (can't remember which model) that was so quiet, I did not believe it. As far as I can remember, it was a Deluxe model with hydro-static transmission and I think it also had a heavy plastic bridge.

So my question is: would it be possible to replace the present muffler on my mower with a more efficient (understand quieter) one?

Hope I'll find some help on this forum (my hearing and my comfort would be greatly happy if the results are positive).

AYP

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi, here is my problem. I'm a musician and an avid grass caterer. I own a HRR2162SDC Honda mower and I find the noise quite annoying. When I mow my grass, I have to wear an over the ear protector coupled with a pair of in-ear hearing protector. Fact is I remember a former brother in law that owned a Honda mower (can't remember which model) that was so quiet, I did not believe it. As far as I can remember, it was a Deluxe model with hydro-static transmission and I think it also had a heavy plastic bridge.

So my question is: would it be possible to replace the present muffler on my mower with a more efficient (understand quieter) one?

Hope I'll find some help on this forum (my hearing and my comfort would be greatly happy if the results are positive).

AYP

Why not just sell what you have and buy an electric ..!!

apwillard1986

Threads
The difference you are hearing is the difference in the GXV and GCV engines. Both are fine but the GXV that came on the cast deck models is a commercial design and is known to be quieter.

You are not the only one to notice. I get comments from my neighbors about how quiet or smooth my mower runs.

I know they have a different muffler but have no idea if they can be interchanged. I very much doubt it and you couldn't be sure that would make the difference.

If money is no object you can go pickup an HRC216 equipped with the GXV engine.

Electric is an idea but personally I find the higher pitched noise made by electric equipment far more uncomfortable than the lower rumble of gas equipment. While technically quieter it fatigues my ears much faster.