New Homeowner, First Lawnmower :)

Canada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi!

I have <1 acre (More like 0.8 acres) of grass to mow in a normal sized city house yard.

I'd like a self-propelled gas mower because a long extension cord will be a pain in the backyard. ;) I have a deck and shrubs and plants and stuff.

My budget is around 300 US (or 400 CAD).

I think I'm going to be buying this one; https://www.rona.ca/en/self-propelled-gas-lawn-mower-159-cc-powermore-21-02225236

Thoughts?

Pumper54

Threads
You might look at any one of the mid price Honda mowers. Also look around at some of the local mower repair shops to see if they have any used or reconditioned mowers for sale.

Tom

Canada

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might look at any one of the mid price Honda mowers. Also look around at some of the local mower repair shops to see if they have any used or reconditioned mowers for sale.

Tom

Hey Tom, thank you for sharing the wisdom!

What do you think about the one I linked? It's not a honda motor but apparently Remingtons are pretty good? I like the features to that one and it's priced adequately. I'm having a hard time finding Hondas around here in Quebec.

Pumper54

Threads
Canada,
Don't know a whole lot about that mower but it looks like it would work for you. FYI most people find that "deck wash" to be a royal pain in the butt. Easier to hold the mower up in the air by hooking the handle under a trailer hitch or have some one stand on it while you wash off the bottom of the mower.
Tom

Canada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Canada,
Don't know a whole lot about that mower but it looks like it would work for you. FYI most people find that "deck wash" to be a royal pain in the butt. Easier to hold the mower up in the air by hooking the handle under a trailer hitch or have some one stand on it while you wash off the bottom of the mower.
Tom

Thank you Tom!

I was told that the Powermore engines are to be avoided.. I'm now debating investing a large sum into a one in a lifetime lawnmower (aka a 100% Honda one). It'll cost me $800, so twice my budget, but it should last forever.. This is the one I'm looking at : https://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawn-mowers/hrr-smart-drive

What do you mean by "deck wash"? I don't understand what that part of your message is about.

lewb

Threads
Thank you Tom!

I was told that the Powermore engines are to be avoided.. I'm now debating investing a large sum into a one in a lifetime lawnmower (aka a 100% Honda one). It'll cost me $800, so twice my budget, but it should last forever.. This is the one I'm looking at : https://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawn-mowers/hrr-smart-drive

What do you mean by "deck wash"? I don't understand what that part of your message is about.

It is that plastic nut that you connect a garden hose to, the idea is to run mower while water is running through the deck, Better method is to tip mower and wash out or scrape. I think one manufacture offered this for the decks now almost all have them. Looks like Honda has not followed the trend. A good deck design should not build up with clippings unless grass is super wet.

Pumper54

Threads
Thank you Tom!

Pretty sure you can find a good Honda for less then 800 bucks (I hope). As lewb said the deck wash is a fitting you attach a garden hose to and run water under the deck as you run the blades. Pretty much a waste of time for me. As lewb said just tilt the mower and wash off the bottom.
Tom

jbcohen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well first off do you want a walk behind or a self propelled? Do you want caster wheels or a push button start? Does the horse power behind the engine mean anything to you?

Here is what I think I know: Walk behinds are just that you push the mower the full time you are mowing the lawn. The self-propelled are where you do not push the mower, but simply guide the mower on its route across your yard, it propels itself and could do the moving by its self but you are doing two things: Holding the bars together at the handle sometimes called a dead man's switch) and guiding the mower across the lawn. You are not pushing it. Caster wheels add agility to move around those obstacles such as the plant beds, the more hp behind the engine the easier it is to get the job done.