Honda HRZ216TDA Transmission questions

ScottyGoggles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys,

Over the last month I have started having problems with my Honda HRZ216TDA mower.

1. When I engage the self-propel bar and I lift the tires off the ground the back tires spin like they should. when I put them down on the ground they stop spinning, as if the ground is creating to much friction for them to over come. I tried this again on the concrete and the mower would go forward on its own but not near as fast as it used to.

2. When I disengage the self-propel bar and I try and pull the mover backwards the wheels try and lock up. when i prop the back of the mower up I am able to spin the tires backwards but it is very difficult. I just hit them with lithium grease but it hasnt made them much better.

Has anyone ever had these issues before with there mower?

Is it worth trying to fix the transmission or is it better to buy one and install it?

Or is this even a transmission problem?

Thank you for the help in advance.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I disengage the self-propel bar and I try and pull the mover backwards the wheels try and lock up. when i prop the back of the mower up I am able to spin the tires backwards but it is very difficult. I just hit them with lithium grease but it hasnt made them much better.

Has anyone ever had these issues before with there mower?

Is it worth trying to fix the transmission or is it better to buy one and install it?

Or is this even a transmission problem?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Step 1. check your serial number; on the back of the mower deck; if it is between 6000001-6186178, there was a Service Bulletin and new adjuster panels that can help with the problem. Drop me a PM for details.

Step 1.5 Strong suggest you get a shop manual if you want to do step 2; Honda sells paper copies online:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Step 2. If not in the above range, you can try full removal of the trans. and clean, clean, clean, reinstall, adjust cables....if still no joy, the trans. is probably toast. A new trans. is Honda Part Number 20001-VG4-H02 (109.97) Google the p/n to find a dealer selling online.