Buying Advice Ferris IS700z - 52" vs. 61"

dmoney

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been looking at zero turns for a bit and I've pretty much decided on the Ferris IS700z, but I've been going back and forth on the 52" vs the 61" deck.

I noticed on the 52" there are only 2 anti-scalp wheels on each end of the deck. Is this a problem when mowing to not have one in the middle? On the 61" there are 4 total.

Also, are there any opinions on how far the deck sticks out past the mower on the left side? The 52" is only a few inches, while the 61" has quite a bit more. I would think this would make for getting up close to the house and edging much easier, but feedback?

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

Neil P

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been looking at zero turns for a bit and I've pretty much decided on the Ferris IS700z, but I've been going back and forth on the 52" vs the 61" deck.

I noticed on the 52" there are only 2 anti-scalp wheels on each end of the deck. Is this a problem when mowing to not have one in the middle? On the 61" there are 4 total.

Also, are there any opinions on how far the deck sticks out past the mower on the left side? The 52" is only a few inches, while the 61" has quite a bit more. I would think this would make for getting up close to the house and edging much easier, but feedback?

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

I have the 52" Ferris IS700z. I chose it over the 61 because of some tight places I needed to get in to. However, there's been many time I wish I had purchased the 61" because of all the barbed wire fence line I have to mow under. The extra deck sticking out on the left would have handled that task nicely. I have no problem getting close to the house & sidewalks, the 52" sticks out far enough to get right up next to them. As for the extra wheels to prevent scalping...I think it is going to happen regardless if you have two wheels or four. Once the wheels clears the high spot, the mower blade will probably shave it off.

So far I am very happy with the Ferris, although I am currently experiencing a fuel related issue that is causing the engine RPM to surge. I'm not to happy with the dealers response when I called him today. "Sounds like you got some crud in your fuel system. Run it, it will eventually clear itself out. If it doesn't give us a call back."

dmoney

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the 52" Ferris IS700z. I chose it over the 61 because of some tight places I needed to get in to. However, there's been many time I wish I had purchased the 61" because of all the barbed wire fence line I have to mow under. The extra deck sticking out on the left would have handled that task nicely. I have no problem getting close to the house & sidewalks, the 52" sticks out far enough to get right up next to them. As for the extra wheels to prevent scalping...I think it is going to happen regardless if you have two wheels or four. Once the wheels clears the high spot, the mower blade will probably shave it off.

So far I am very happy with the Ferris, although I am currently experiencing a fuel related issue that is causing the engine RPM to surge. I'm not to happy with the dealers response when I called him today. "Sounds like you got some crud in your fuel system. Run it, it will eventually clear itself out. If it doesn't give us a call back."

Thank you for this feedback. It's good to hear that you are able to get up next to things with the 52". That was my biggest concern, but I wasn't sure how worried I should be about it since I've never had the flexibility of a zero-turn. I also have a woodbine to mow with lots of wild bushes with thorns, but as long as I keep them trimmed back, getting closer shouldn't be an issue.

I also agree on your ant-scalping wheels, I'm just surprised there's not one in the middle of such a large deck. If there's a wavy spot one there can help a bit. It doesn't sound like you've had any problems with this on the 52", however.

There are a couple things in my lawn that make me want to go to the 52", but I think I can make a 61" work just fine. I'm upgrading simply for speed and maneuverability - so picking up the 9" for a few hundred bucks is certainly tempting.

dmoney

Forum Newbie
Threads

I bought my IS700z on Friday and ended up going with the 61". I really didn't have anything that I needed to go smaller and the cost difference wasn't enough to push me to the 52". A few people told me - no one ever wishes they went smaller, but people often wished they sized up. I appreciate the feedback here and can't wait to get my Ferris this coming Friday!

Chugbug

Threads
Congratulations on the 700. If you have a lot of tight spaces then the smaller deck will probably be better.....but you can't beat the 61" deck.