Briggs 19.5 carb question...

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Hello, my mower is kickin my but and I would like to reach out to see if anybody has an idea. I have a 1998 craftsman 19.5 twin cylinder mower that I've had since new and it's never gave me any trouble except very minor repairs which I expect. The engine is a 42E707-2631E1 with the non adjustable carb. I have "kitted" the carb 3 or 4 times over the years with no problem, I've worked on cars and mowers for 30 years. This time I wanted to freshen up the carb for the new season since I haven't replaced the fuel pump diaphram and springs in about 4 years, however it was running fine. I went through the carb as usual, took it off, soaked it in chem tool, washed everything off, blew all the parts out with air, and assembled it as it came apart like every time before. Now it has a random miss at all speeds, (although worse at idle), and is loading up with fuel, running rich. I will idle on it's own, I actually mowed with it on high and it's hard to hear the missing if you don't pay attention. I live by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so I'm eatin that. I did take it back off 6 times and checked my little diaphram springs, blew out all the tiny passages etc. I'm all out of ideas. The only thing I didn't do was remove the welch plug at the lower rear of the carb. What do you guys think? thanks...

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have the 3 or 4 screw fuel pump?

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Thanks for the reply. It's the three screw pump. I even tried putting the old diaphram and springs back in and it's the same. Now the starter's shot from me crankin on it so I got one on the way. ha.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I accidently put one together 5 time the wrong way so here is a diagram just to make sure you are putting it back together correctly.
briggs.jpg

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Thanks for the attachment and the reply. I looked at that same diagram in my owners manual. The only thing that looks different is that mine has two small springs and the pic shows one. Not the large pump spring but the smaller ones. Even the book that came with the mower shows the exact same diagram that you sent. One small spring goes on either side of the plastic pump block. I'll take it back off to make sure..

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Just for reference I have the cup against the diaphragm and not the plastic. Both smaller springs are on their bosses. I did destroy the original seat cup that's pressed in so I ordered a new top cover that had one pressed in already. The top looks the same. "BUT" that's the only thing that's different. Sorry I failed to mention that in the original post. I will compare the two more closely later today.. The part is a NOS original Briggs part.

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Well, here's an update. I came to the conclusion that the prob is the new top cover, Briggs part number 495035. I filled the bowl with gas and unplugged the fuel line and started the engine with the original cover and it ran fine till it ran out of fuel. The new top cover is somehow different. The part number in my owners manual on the breakdown of the carb parts is 499281 which I can't find. Some of the websites show that the new part number is 693483 but it looks different in the pics. Anybody know where I can find an original 499281??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the reply. It's the three screw pump. I even tried putting the old diaphram and springs back in and it's the same. Now the starter's shot from me crankin on it so I got one on the way. ha.

Are you sure it's the starter..?? If you were holdin the key on quite awhile ,...you may have "fried" one of these cheap-a?? solenoids they put out..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, here's an update. I came to the conclusion that the prob is the new top cover, Briggs part number 495035. I filled the bowl with gas and unplugged the fuel line and started the engine with the original cover and it ran fine till it ran out of fuel. The new top cover is somehow different. The part number in my owners manual on the breakdown of the carb parts is 499281 which I can't find. Some of the websites show that the new part number is 693483 but it looks different in the pics. Anybody know where I can find an original 499281??

Per briggs dealer site. the 499281 nor 495035 show fitting your engine. the 693483 is the top cover for the 4 bolt fuel pump carb. Every reference I found shows superceding to the 694026 carb assembly. which is the 4 bolt fuel pump carb.

Kevin Toadman

Threads
Okay, thanks for the reply and info. My original owners book shows an exploded view of the carb, that's where I get the 499281 number that I can't find anywhere. There's no number on the cover itself. The 495035 looks very similiar and bolts on perfect and starts easy and runs good enough to mow, but it just loads up with fuel a little. If I can't come up with the correct cover will a later 4 bolt pump carb bolt on without any mods?