10515 no spark

Ajones

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawnboy 10515 no spark
I have a 10515 gold series self-propelled push mower. I had to replace the reed for the carb, so took the engine apart. It kinda ran before taking apart (spit gas out of the carb pretty bad.) I got everything back together, then my cable broke that released the engine brake. I got the cable replaced, thought I was good to go, but couldn't get it to start. I checked to see if I had spark, and didn't. I thought maybe the ignition coil was bad, so I ordered a new from eBay and "surprisingly" it didn't fit. One thing that has been bugging me about when I put my engine back together, I used a siliconized engine sealer between the halves. (I thought I needed a gasket of some kind between the halves, but didn't have a factory gasket.) Would this cause my no spark issue? Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there a way to test for sure that the ignition module is bad other than turning the engine and grounding the spark plug?

Lawnboy77

Threads
Anaerobic sealant is the correct sealant for the case halves. You are probably okay with the silicone sealant, if it can withstand the temps. Permatex makes an anerobic sealant and that's what I use. It won't effect spark, but it obviously will affect crankcase compression, as far as the no spark condition, could be as simple as something faulty with the deadman safety switch right at the flywheel brake, or don't rule out another dead coil. Just because it's new means nothing these days.

EDIT: after re-reading am I understanding you right, the coil was never actually replaced? I think I would either slave in a known good coil, or just buy a new one that is the correct one for a 10515. You are probably going to need it down the road anyway.

Last edited: