HRX217KVKA - SmartDrive - what transmission fluid?

HRX217

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Honda fans! New member here who really loves the HRX217s cut and operation. I have 2 of them that I use for different yards and both need different transmission-related repairs. Right now I'm working to fix an oil seal leak on a transmission that is SmartDrive controlled. My research shows this transmission can be replaced new with part number 20001-VL0-B00 / 06200-VH7-305.

Model: HRX217KVKA
Serial: MAGA-1418982

It has a leaky oil seal on the longer axle side that I will replace. I'm in the process of ordering the axle seals on both sides for good measure.

My question is: what type and how much fluid is recommended to refill this type of transmission? I initially thought this was a hydrostatic drive, but after additional research, it seems any mower with a SmartDrive has a gear driven trans, rather than a hydrostatic. I'm not sure if my last statement is accurate, but hoping an expert like Robert can clear things up. I haven't been able to determine what fluid it takes and how much to use on this trans. Is hydrostatic fluid used on this trans or something else, and how much? Are there any special procedures to refill or bleed? Any assistance for setting the record straight here is much appreciated!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Honda fans! New member here who really loves the HRX217s cut and operation. I have 2 of them that I use for different yards and both need different transmission-related repairs. Right now I'm working to fix an oil seal leak on a transmission that is SmartDrive controlled. My research shows this transmission can be replaced new with part number 20001-VL0-B00 / 06200-VH7-305.

Model: HRX217KVKA
Serial: MAGA-1418982

It has a leaky oil seal on the longer axle side that I will replace. I'm in the process of ordering the axle seals on both sides for good measure.

My question is: what type and how much fluid is recommended to refill this type of transmission? I initially thought this was a hydrostatic drive, but after additional research, it seems any mower with a SmartDrive has a gear driven trans, rather than a hydrostatic. I'm not sure if my last statement is accurate, but hoping an expert like Robert can clear things up. I haven't been able to determine what fluid it takes and how much to use on this trans. Is hydrostatic fluid used on this trans or something else, and how much? Are there any special procedures to refill or bleed? Any assistance for setting the record straight here is much appreciated!

Gearbox oil is SAE 10W-30; fill trans. case (when upside down, of course) so oil level is 8-12mm from the top. Max. capacity is 150cc ( about 5 oz.)

dateposted-public

Tundra1979

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gearbox oil is SAE 10W-30; fill trans. case (when upside down, of course) so oil level is 8-12mm from the top. Max. capacity is 150cc ( about 5 oz.)

dateposted-public
Hi, I have a Honda HRX217K6VKA, would the fluid be the same? SAE 10W-30 w/ similar fill process? I think mine's just a newer model. Some leaked out and it looked similar to Motor oil and less like transmission fluid.

JBtoro

Threads
Hi, I have a Honda HRX217K6VKA, would the fluid be the same? SAE 10W-30 w/ similar fill process? I think mine's just a newer model. Some leaked out and it looked similar to Motor oil and less like transmission fluid.
I know Robert is with Honda, but I think you should stick with genuine Honda hydrostatic fluid vs. 1W-30. Not that expensive. See this video:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

dateposted-public
Are you talking about rear differential oil slash gear box oil? That stinky stuff you put in rear/front of truck/Jeep axles? If so, rear diff oil is a 30w oil. Not even close to a 10w-30. Plus is has extreme pressure additives that are harsh on yellow metals like brass. It will eat brass parts over time and damage the trans. Don't get fooled because the bottle says gear lube. And I would rather not hear from someone that claims to use it for 53 years with no problems. See next paragraph.

Follow what LBtoro said. Use the genuine Honda fluid.

Or were you saying that Honda fluid is made specifically for gear boxes?

slomo

Tundra1979

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know Robert is with Honda, but I think you should stick with genuine Honda hydrostatic fluid vs. 1W-30. Not that expensive. See this video:

Thanks, I agree. I purchased some and am waiting for it to arrive. Do you think his recommendation as to how much to fill is a good idea? There's no fill mark and I can't find anywhere where it says how much should be in there. It's not like a differential on my truck where you fill to the plug hole and you know theres enough in there.

JBtoro

Threads
  • / HRX217KVKA - SmartDrive - what transmission fluid?
Thanks, I agree. I purchased some and am waiting for it to arrive. Do you think his recommendation as to how much to fill is a good idea? There's no fill mark and I can't find anywhere where it says how much should be in there. It's not like a differential on my truck where you fill to the plug hole and you know theres enough in there.
Yes, absolutely. Fill until it actually spills over a tad.