Poulan Pro steering column bushing replacement.

JamesD

Threads
My mower is the Poulan Pro model PPR17H42STA.

The plastic bushing that stabilizes the steering column has snapped and I need to replace it. I removed the bolt holding the wheel to the steering column but it did not come free. I then removed the wheel itself to see if that helped but it did not. I'll post some pictures to help. There is a metal attachment used link the wheel to the column and it prevents me from replacing the broken bushing. Any help getting this piece off would be appreciated. The silver piece at the top of the column is what I need to remove to get the broken plastic piece free and install a new one.

41768b16ef.jpg

4176c7f99c.jpg

41770153db.jpg

JamesD

Threads
My only plan so far is hitting it with the hammer, but that jostles the gears too much and doesn't seem to loosen the silver attachment any.

If anyone has removed one of these before please tell me how you did it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My only plan so far is hitting it with the hammer, but that jostles the gears too much and doesn't seem to loosen the silver attachment any.

If anyone has removed one of these before please tell me how you did it.

Check the parts diagram for your mower.
If it does not show the top section as a part, it does not come off.
Generally you pull the gear off the bottom them slide the shaft up

JamesD

Threads
Check the parts diagram for your mower.
If it does not show the top section as a part, it does not come off.
Generally you pull the gear off the bottom them slide the shaft up

Thank you for that suggestion. I looked up the part and from what I can tell it is depicted as separate. The numbers are blurry but it looks like part number 44.

I'll look into removing the bushing by sliding it to the bottom of the column but if I'm reading the diagram right it looks like it won't slide over the bottom of part number 17 either.

Thanks again, I appreciate any further consideration.

5adec23bc8.gif

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What part number is broken?
Polan Pro.jpg

NorthBama

Threads
some penetrating oil and a good slide hammer would work good for removing the top shiny shaft. Maybe your local auto parts store has loaner tools.

JamesD

Threads
What part number is broken?
View attachment 31664

Thanks for supplying that picture. The part I need to replace is 36. The diagram is misleading though because part 36 sits on part 17 under part 44 and its inner diameter is too small to slide past part 44 or over the bottom of part 17.

Part 36 screws into the mowers dash in order to help keep the steering column in place while you turn. Part 44 just attaches the wheel to the column.

JamesD

Threads
some penetrating oil and a good slide hammer would work good for removing the top shiny shaft. Maybe your local auto parts store has loaner tools.

Not a bad idea, thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove bolt 54 and put steering wheel back on. Turn and pull till it lets go.

JamesD

Threads
Remove bolt 54 and put steering wheel back on. Turn and pull till it lets go.

Hey thanks! That does the trick. After a few good turns to the left the friction gave and the piece came free.

Problem solved. :thumbsup: