Have I damaged this engine

reinhad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ran my 22 hp Briggs model 44R677 on my Snapper rider without oil until it shut down (90 seconds approx.) ... Just stupid mistake on my part. The strange thing is that I can't detect any apparent damage so far. Initially I think engine locked as I tried to turn flywheel and couldn't by hand. Parked it until next day thinking it was toast. Then sprayed cylinders with wd-40 preparing to try and turn engine at flywheel nut and to my surprise engine was free. Spun engine with starter with plugs out then replaced plugs and fired it up. Smoked for a minute or so as it burned the wd. then ran perfect. I have run engine 2 hrs. since (2 mowings) and it runs perfect. Am I sitting on a time bomb.

mhavanti

Threads
Run it. If it craps it's pants, it craps it's pants. Otherwise, you could pull it before, check the rod and main (case) and if they're good, cam and lifters are good, valve guides aren't galded either. You're golden.

If in two hours it hasn't told you anything it probably isn't going to.

Run it like you stole it, fix it if you break it.

Max

Mick Oz

Threads
I agree, you dodged a bullet there!
If you can tell no differrence between how it used to run and that most recent 2hr mowing session, you are fine. Just dont count on too much more good luck today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The top journal on the crank regularly siezes when oil is low.
If you catch it quick, when all cools down they will break free.

cashman

Threads
It really depends on IF and How Much of any metal transfer (scoring) process has begun between the crank and all the bearing surfaces as well as the piston, rings and cylinder wall. If any metal transfer has begun, it will probably only get worse with more use.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you're running it, I'd change the oil to clean it out, & look at the used oil for particles or anything that shouldn't be there.

The oil filter would be a great place to look also, but you'll need to cut it open. I use a pipe-cutter.