Replace engine or buy new mower

Outlaw Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dilemma is I hit one of my wifes lawn ornaments last fall and now the crank is slightly bent(vibrates bad now). The mower is 21" Hi Vac purchased in 2007 for 599.00 plus tax, so its 10 years old. Its in mint condition always cleaned in the spring and half way thru summer. The current engine is the Briggs Intek that has always burned oil and killed two spark plugs each year. My plan is to put the GXV160 Honda engine on it or just purchase the commercial 21 with the Honda engine for 929.00. Tough decision since I can do the work myself and hate spending more money than needed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you would be money ahead with dropping a new briggs on it for around $200. If that is the route that you take, make sure to put the oil in the engine before adding fuel, and pulling the rope. The engines with good fuel will start on little more than a sneeze.

mattm55

Threads
The dilemma is I hit one of my wifes lawn ornaments last fall and now the crank is slightly bent(vibrates bad now). The mower is 21" Hi Vac purchased in 2007 for 599.00 plus tax, so its 10 years old. Its in mint condition always cleaned in the spring and half way thru summer. The current engine is the Briggs Intek that has always burned oil and killed two spark plugs each year. My plan is to put the GXV160 Honda engine on it or just purchase the commercial 21 with the Honda engine for 929.00. Tough decision since I can do the work myself and hate spending more money than needed.

I'm actually doing a rebuild on a 1985 Snapper RER in the forum. When I had to make the decision I took a few things into consideration.

1. Is the cost worthwhile is a rebuild over a new machine? A new machine would be around $1500-$1700. Rebuilding the original would be about $1100. That would be replacing most parts and upgrading to Honda power ($750). Since the new machine would still have a Briggs (nothing wrong with Briggs for cheap power), the winner was the rebuild.

2. Is a new machine going to be better (more features, reliable) than the older machine? Apples to apples, not much has changed with the Snappers. OK, I think they have gotten a bit cheaper with plastic & construction. I can't speak to the parts but the reviews on the new machines aren't overwhelming. I did notice that Snapper had a RER 101 model (I think) that was a return of the classic but it is not available in the US. I would have bought that in a minute if available! That still had a Briggs. Again, the winner was the rebuild.

3. My time. Do I have the time to rebuild a machine or do I need to just have one shipped to the house? I had the time to take things apart. OK, I'm still working on it but it's going together now. I also had the tools just sitting in the basement and garage that might sway someone else to go the buy route. I had a lathe (fab some spacers), bead blaster (cleaned paint/rust off parts) at my disposal which helps make the project go a lot quicker. Winner > rebuild.

So, I decided to go the rebuild route. I am saving about ~$600 BUT that's not accounting for the time spent. I also like to rebuild things and get the satisfaction when it's done. My wife looked at it the other day and even said, wow, that looks like new. She actually uses the rider while I do the push. I said, see, I told you all those tools would come in handy. We saved $x dollars by doing this. Ha, we all know how true that is, right?

Oh, and probably one thing not to forget is that if your not happy with the current machine and want to switch brands for features, reliability, etc... now would be the time to go the new route. I like the (older) Snappers. I think it's one of the best machines for picking up leaves with the bagger and "Hi-Vac" system. By taking it apart and seeing how serviceable these are.. I can see why they were so popular. My father-in-law gave me the machine and bought a few other machines to replace it but always compared them to the Snapper and how they weren't as good.

That's just my $.02.
Matt ;o)

Outlaw Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you would be money ahead with dropping a new briggs on it for around $200. If that is the route that you take, make sure to put the oil in the engine before adding fuel, and pulling the rope. The engines with good fuel will start on little more than a sneeze.
This what I did this morning, ordered a new Briggs and Stratton 8.75 torque Professional Series from the local lawn and garden for a good price.

mattm55

Threads
This what I did this morning, ordered a new Briggs and Stratton 8.75 torque Professional Series from the local lawn and garden for a good price.

Congrats on going the new engine route. A couple of pics never hurt either. Good luck.

Matt ;o)

MJK

Forum Newbie
Threads

Just replaced Briggs engine on my Snapper P216012 - 6.75 hp quantum from small engines warehouse for $140 plus shipping

Outlaw Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
The new Briggs and Stratton Professional Series motor for sure is not too impressive for power, but it does the job. The 8.50 torque instead of the 8.75 torque came in, not that .25 ft-lb torque is going to change anything. It starts easy, eats gas, rpm's hunt slightly, but it cuts grass.

txzrider2

Threads
Have to agree with the rest, I would have (and did recently) voted for a new eng. I just went through this for my Country Clipper, and with everything else on the mower being it relatively good shape, spending about $650 was a good investment. I still keep a early 90's snapper as my emergency mower that sounds like what you just replaced the eng on. I can't believe much has changed since that mower works so well. To replace my Country clipper would have been $3600 plus vs $650 for the repower.