Mower cranks but want move

tru2au

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower cranks fine and the blades engage but the mower will not move when I put it in gear. The model number is 42508x92a the date code is 99076 and the serial number is 7410007691t01221. It is a 17.5 HP with a 42" cut. Any ideas? Thanks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
My mower cranks fine and the blades engage but the mower will not move when I put it in gear. The model number is 42508x92a the date code is 99076 and the serial number is 7410007691t01221. It is a 17.5 HP with a 42" cut. Any ideas? Thanks

Sounds like your ENGINE to TRANSAXLE drive-belt ( ITEM # 30 in your Owners Instructions parts diagrams ) is the problem...check for a loose (worn) belt , belt slipped off a pulley
or a pulley slipping on a shaft , also .... check linkage on transaxle for loose , broken or missing parts.

Thanks for providing the basic info to search for info. on your 1999 Murray ....
I might suggest ... IF it is a belt issue ... if you replace the belt be sure to use an O.E.M. belt ... don't waste your time & money on a cheap "knock-off" ........ I use Briggs & Stratton approved belts ONLY on my Murrays = NO PROBLEMS..!!

Keep us up-dated ....:thumbsup:

tru2au

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for your response. Though, all the belts on the lawnmower are tight and are actually moving when I look up under the bottom below the seat. I can see the transaxle spinning but not engaging. I took the tires off because they both had to be replaced and patched. It seems like someone told me to pull on something or release something to make it where the tires would roll no matter if it was in gear or not. I honestly believe I did something to make it roll down the hill because it wouldn't crank to put it in my storage building before the winter of last year. It seems like it is something called a Freewheel or something to that effect because I couldn't get it to budge and it would have had to set on top of the hill all winter. Though, if it has been more than two weeks I can't remember. :confused2:

mhavanti

Threads
Sounds like you have a hyrdaulic rear axle. If so, there should be a little 3/16" diameter rod bent into an "L" shape or possibly a flat plate about an inch wide or a bit more with a circle cut out to put your finger into. If so, push it in until it locks and try your mower again. It should engage the pumps and send hydraulic pressure to your drive wheels.

Good luck Bama!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you have a hyrdaulic rear axle. If so, there should be a little 3/16" diameter rod bent into an "L" shape or possibly a flat plate about an inch wide or a bit more with a circle cut out to put your finger into. If so, push it in until it locks and try your mower again. It should engage the pumps and send hydraulic pressure to your drive wheels.

Good luck Bama!

I've got 3 Murray Riders NONE have the trans with a disengage device ... could NOT find your OWNERS guide ...
looked through some other MURRAY OWNERS manuals to find this ....

TRANS LEVER.JPG

IF you have a TRANS. disconnect /connect this is where it should be ... under the seat on certain Murray mowers
AVANTI was on the right track... Anyway please keep us informed ...it helps other members know the outcome...

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did everything work befor you remover the rear tires?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lift the seat.
Near the seat pivot is an L shaped slot and in the slot is the bypass rod.
Check that it is in the drive position