Big Dog Alpha vs Gravely ZTX Which is better?

mvinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am about to buy a new I have narrowed down my options to these to mowers. It will be used just for my house and I know I am getting the 42" deck. I was hoping someone who has used one of these could give me there opinion. The price is the same and they seem to be very very similar. I know Hustler is the maker of Big Dog, and Gravely is a well know mower. I just want to make sure I get something that will last and not be in the shop all the time. The Gravely has 3 blades on a 42" deck, which I find strange and I know will be more expensive to replace, however I heard mention that the big dog has a cheaper transmission which worries me. Not sure if that is true or not. Anyone that can help me I would really appreciate it/

bhepper

Threads
I am about to buy a new I have narrowed down my options to these to mowers. It will be used just for my house and I know I am getting the 42" deck. I was hoping someone who has used one of these could give me there opinion. The price is the same and they seem to be very very similar. I know Hustler is the maker of Big Dog, and Gravely is a well know mower. I just want to make sure I get something that will last and not be in the shop all the time. The Gravely has 3 blades on a 42" deck, which I find strange and I know will be more expensive to replace, however I heard mention that the big dog has a cheaper transmission which worries me. Not sure if that is true or not. Anyone that can help me I would really appreciate it/

According to Gravely's website the ZT X uses same transaxles as the Alpha (Hydro-Gear EZT ZT-2200). The ZT XL uses the 'better' ZT-2800 which I believe is used on the Alpha MP.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

Gravely would be a better choice probably in the long run.