Cub Cadet 2185 running problem

markwemple

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a 95 2185 with less than 500 hours. It ran fine when I bought it. Did a little cutting until it ran out of gas (too impatient). My boys decided to help daddy by "feeding it" and put grass, etc. into the fuel tank. I vacuumed that out. Then I did a "full service" - plugs, oil filter, oil, air filter, fuel filter, fuel line (all cub parts). When I pulled the stuff out, the old plugs were black, the air filter was completely clogged and the fuel filter had debris hanging out of it. Anyway, I tried to start it....can get it to run on starting fluid but not without. It appears to be getting good fuel flow into and out of the filter, and up to the pump. From the pump, it's decent but am unsure how fast it must flow. this is a kohler v-twin with a vacuum pump (not a fan). Pulled the carb apart, the bowl was a little low but that could be from me messing with it as I pulled it apart. Next I replaced the fuel pump. I now have plenty in the bowl and it's a little harder to start on fluid but will run a bit longer. The fuel shut off solenoid is working fine. I'm out of ideas!!!

markwemple

Forum Newbie
Threads
Getting spark. Re-gapped plugs. Carb is flooding so I need to adjust floats.

markwemple

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can get it to run spraying gas from a bottle but not on it's own.

markwemple

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the filter. It now has all new fuel lines and vacuum line.

markwemple

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it to hold an idle for a few minutes so I shut it down, put everything together, started it up and drove it for 100 feet. Then I went to start the pto but before I could, she died and is now pulling the exact same bs. Carb all cleaned 3 times.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the fuel shut off solenoid.
Replace it with a bowl bolt ( don't forget a sealing washer ) to check if it is working.
Other than that ir sounds like there is still some grass in the fuel tank.
The 21 series Cubs are quite prone to fuel blockages as a lot of them had a casting flash almost all the way across the fuel outlet so any crud in the tank hangs up on it and blocks off the fuel supply.

I like to fit a spark tester to the mower and the run the engine watching the spark tester.
If it stops flashing before the engine dies then the problem is in the ignition / safety circuit.
These mowers are getting a bit old now and the ignition cut of wires chaff on the fins over time.