PP 42cc chain saw

Regwal

Threads
Today I started my saw and used about 1/2 tank cutting grape vines down. I refueled and added chain oil and then saw wouldn't start. After many attempts I removed the spark plug and held the wire wile pulling start rope. Nothing. I stuck metal into the clip thinking there wasn't good contact and pulled start rope again. Still felt nothing. Dumbfounded a bit wondering how this could happen after stopping for fuel and oil. I haven't removed any other pieces of cover yet because of heat getting to me Oh, I gave a shot of starting fluid few times to confirm no spark and as expected nothing happened as far as it trying to start up.:confused:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Today I started my saw and used about 1/2 tank cutting grape vines down. I refueled and added chain oil and then saw wouldn't start. After many attempts I removed the spark plug and held the wire wile pulling start rope. Nothing. I stuck metal into the clip thinking there wasn't good contact and pulled start rope again. Still felt nothing. Dumbfounded a bit wondering how this could happen after stopping for fuel and oil. I haven't removed any other pieces of cover yet because of heat getting to me Oh, I gave a shot of starting fluid few times to confirm no spark and as expected nothing happened as far as it trying to start up.:confused:

SOMETIMES we forget the "kill" switch ... I am guilty ... more than once !!

Regwal

Threads
SOMETIMES we forget the "kill" switch ... I am guilty ... more than once !!

Kill switch is working. Not sure if coil is working from the way I checked it. With kill switch in "run" checking up to coil there is no resistance, then across coil I show no resistance. Kill switch to off I show resistance. Sorta baffled right now.

Regwal

Threads
Found my problem. Saw, like me is old and worn out. Compression was too low to crank. Checked the piston and it was scored pretty good so suspect that was cause of low compression. I had loaned the saw a few times and that was most likely the start of piston scoring. May replace with electric since at my advanced age there aren't many tree removals in the future, just limbs. :laughing:

Now to get the limb trimmer running...............

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found my problem. Saw, like me is old and worn out. Compression was too low to crank. Checked the piston and it was scored pretty good so suspect that was cause of low compression. I had loaned the saw a few times and that was most likely the start of piston scoring. May replace with electric since at my advanced age there aren't many tree removals in the future, just limbs. :laughing:

Now to get the limb trimmer running...............

I've had the same problem a few times with a 35 year old Poulan Micro XXV. Sometimes, but not always, it won't start when hot. But if I let it cool off, it will start again.

As you found out, there isn't any spark. That isn't a compression related problem. An engine that has just been shut off will have HIGHER compression than when you started it cold because the cylinder is coated with oil. So I don't think compression is your hot-start problem. Lack of spark when hot indicates a coil-related problem.

I have a bigger Husqvarna saw, too, so when the Poulan gets cranky, I just pick up the Husky and work with it until the Poulan cools down. That beats actually fixing the Poulan because I don't know if parts are even available for it anymore.

Word to the wise: Don't loan out anything you're not willing to give away. Because sometimes that is exactly what you're doing.

primerbulb120

Threads
I've had the same problem a few times with a 35 year old Poulan Micro XXV. Sometimes, but not always, it won't start when hot. But if I let it cool off, it will start again.

As you found out, there isn't any spark. That isn't a compression related problem. An engine that has just been shut off will have HIGHER compression than when you started it cold because the cylinder is coated with oil. So I don't think compression is your hot-start problem. Lack of spark when hot indicates a coil-related problem.

I have a bigger Husqvarna saw, too, so when the Poulan gets cranky, I just pick up the Husky and work with it until the Poulan cools down. That beats actually fixing the Poulan because I don't know if parts are even available for it anymore.

Word to the wise: Don't loan out anything you're not willing to give away. Because sometimes that is exactly what you're doing.

Lack of spark when hot is a bad spark plug more often than a bad coil.