MTD top speed

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Huskee mod 14AR808K731 that I use for the lion's share of grass cutting.
54", 26hp B&S V-twin, 2 speed transaxle, variable speed belt drive.
I have replaced both drive belts and adjusted the pedal travel per the manual, about 1 3/8" before engaging if memory serves.
I can't help but believe that it is just not going as fast as it should.
I ran it around measuring speed with my Garmin GPS.
Fastest speed registered was 4.0mph, with 3.4 - 3.8 being more common.
By contrast, my Huskee 13AZ604H063, 46" B&S 22hp, single speed transaxle,variable speed belt drive
easily tops that by a full 1 mph.

Any ideas as to what the typical top speed should be for my big 'un" ??
Is that all there is, or should I try to adjust the speed pedal a bit tighter?
I don't want to get it too snug or I will have a hard time shifting the tranny due to too much belt tension....

I know that capable racer and tinkerer extraordinaire mhavanti will recommend doubling the size of the drive pulley and reducing the diameter of the driven pulley..............but I'd like to know what is normal for the critter before I start kitbashing ...

mhavanti

Threads
Well,

If you'd stop going uphill both directions, I'm fairly sure you'd gain some land speed.

Uphill, nada good idea.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well,

If you'd stop going uphill both directions, I'm fairly sure you'd gain some land speed.

Uphill, nada good idea.

That's the problem with living in a crater........ain't nowhere to go but up!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Garden Tractors are not normally as fast as a lawn mower.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, pursuant to ordering a Raptor SD yeste5day, I did a little adjusting on the MTD Huskee this morn.
I had heretofore followed the manual spec for adjusting the play in the foot speed pedal to 1 3/8" and that was way too much.
I adjusted that down to 3/4" or so and the increase in speed was appreciable.
It will run on cruise control now faster than max pedal depression prior to the adjustment.

But, I still have to step on the pedal at times and that isn't agreeing with my sore knee.
I guess I'll Keep the Hustler a-comin'......