Oil overfilled /drained refilled smoking white

riseandrun

Threads
Another lawn mowing season has begun... last year my sister in law WAY overfilled her Toro GTS 21 inch rear bigger. Mod. 20622. As much oil as I drained I don't think it could have possibly started. I drained the oil last year and it has sat all winter. I put in approximately 21 ounces and after priming through spark plug it finally started. After idling for about 1 minute, I dropped the handle to engage the blade and the smoke was even worse. I'm hoping I haven't made matters worse. Is there oil " somewhere" I need to get out before I try starting it again? FWIW the lawnmower has been meticulously taken care of before my S-I-L overfilled it. I got the lawnmower because " it won't start". Any advice greatly appreciated.
R&R
Should mention a compression check was 150 lbs. and I believe engine is a B&S

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another lawn mowing season has begun... last year my sister in law WAY overfilled her Toro GTS 21 inch rear bigger. Mod. 20622. As much oil as I drained I don't think it could have possibly started. I drained the oil last year and it has sat all winter. I put in approximately 21 ounces and after priming through spark plug it finally started. After idling for about 1 minute, I dropped the handle to engage the blade and the smoke was even worse. I'm hoping I haven't made matters worse. Is there oil " somewhere" I need to get out before I try starting it again? FWIW the lawnmower has been meticulously taken care of before my S-I-L overfilled it. I got the lawnmower because " it won't start". Any advice greatly appreciated.
R&R
Should mention a compression check was 150 lbs. and I believe engine is a B&S

I had my 30" Toro over filled last year. I just drained it and refilled it to correct level and started it up and let it run. It had no problems.....afterward.

riseandrun

Threads
Thanks for responding. Did the lawnmower smoke like a fog machine? Or like someone just stuck a smoke bomb in the muffler? I took the muffler off and let it drain, but there wasn't very much oil in it...

Mick Oz

Threads
It should settle down once all the excess oil has burned off

primerbulb120

Threads
Thanks for responding. Did the lawnmower smoke like a fog machine? Or like someone just stuck a smoke bomb in the muffler? I took the muffler off and let it drain, but there wasn't very much oil in it...

I had a similar situation with a tenant's mower. It wouldn't start, so she filled it all the way up to the top of the dipstick tube with oil. :confused2:

I drained the extra oil, took the muffler off, and let the engine run a while without it to clean the oil out of the combustion chamber. After soaking the muffler in carburetor cleaner and letting it dry, I put it back on and ran the engine until it stopped smoking.

Short answer, yes it will smoke like a fog machine until the oil burns off.

riseandrun

Threads
I had a similar situation with a tenant's mower. It wouldn't start, so she filled it all the way up to the top of the dipstick tube with oil. :confused2:

I drained the extra oil, took the muffler off, and let the engine run a while without it to clean the oil out of the combustion chamber. After soaking the muffler in carburetor cleaner and letting it dry, I put it back on and ran the engine until it stopped smoking.

Short answer, yes it will smoke like a fog machine until the oil burns off.
Thanks again for all the replys. I'm happy to say you were all correct.�� I ran it tonight thinking I had nothing to loose. It took half of my back yard of mowing, maybe 20 minutes, and it finally stopped smoking and "seemed" like it was running like a normal lawn mower again. For some reason the self propel was a little funky at the beginning too. The idea of cleaning the muffler with carb cleaner was great, will remember that one...��
I really like the old toro's.
Have a great week all!
KW

primerbulb120

Threads
I used the Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner in a bucket, not the kind in a spray can. Put the muffler in the bucket and soak it for 15-30 minutes, take it out and let it dry.

:thumbsup:

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the push mower is tipped to the wrong side oil will get into the combustion chamber. My neighbor did this & when he wanted to start it the rope was stuck, becsause it had oil above the piston. I told him to pull the spark plug & yank the rope like 50 times (I love messing with him), he came running back & told me oil was shooting out the spark plug hole. I just said keep yanking the rope till it quits.
Then put in the spark plug & try & fire it up, but to expect smoke. It started & was smoking, I told him to go mow as it will keep mosquitoes off him till it clears up.

You have to tip a push mow so the carb remains on the high side. This will avoid the oil transfer into the c.c.