HELP!!! Need opinion or directions

geoff

Threads
Hi and thanks for taking a moment to read this. I have a 1995 721D with a left frozen transmission. It froze up about 100 yds from my storage area on the last mow of the season last fall. The engine runs great. I contacted the dealer who says the transmission is no longer available. I don't know if the problem is in the final drive or the pump or both. I am looking for direction as to what to do now. I am reasonably mechanically inclined but have never taken one of these apart before. My questions are the following. Since the only replacement units I can find are used ones on Ebay and cost around $1400 with no warranty, is it worth it to replace it? If so, can anyone direct me to where I can find directions for removing it? I can probably get it out even without directions but I don't want to disconnect anything that I shouldn't or don't need to do. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Also, if the time has come to part it out or sell it to someone who needs the remaining functioning parts, I understand. Thanks again.

Geoff

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi and thanks for taking a moment to read this. I have a 1995 721D with a left frozen transmission. It froze up about 100 yds from my storage area on the last mow of the season last fall. The engine runs great. I contacted the dealer who says the transmission is no longer available. I don't know if the problem is in the final drive or the pump or both. I am looking for direction as to what to do now. I am reasonably mechanically inclined but have never taken one of these apart before. My questions are the following. Since the only replacement units I can find are used ones on Ebay and cost around $1400 with no warranty, is it worth it to replace it? If so, can anyone direct me to where I can find directions for removing it? I can probably get it out even without directions but I don't want to disconnect anything that I shouldn't or don't need to do. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Also, if the time has come to part it out or sell it to someone who needs the remaining functioning parts, I understand. Thanks again.

Geoff

I don't know if any of these will fit your machine ... BUT if one does , ... you might save a good deal of money
especially if you or a GOOD friend installs it ... I wouldn't so quick to part it out ..Good Luck though !!
there SHOULD be a repair manual out there ... and there might be some youtube videos on replacing it

http://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=transaxles

this place ALWAYS has new items every few weeks you might want to keep checking back

qmark

Threads

Geoff

Hi, Have you solved this yet? If the setup is similar to my 725 then you have a belt driving the pump and hoses to the wheel motor. You could disconnect the hoses and see if the pump will spin. Then you would at least know which unit you are dealing with.
mark

geoff

Threads
I don't know if any of these will fit your machine ... BUT if one does , ... you might save a good deal of money
especially if you or a GOOD friend installs it ... I wouldn't so quick to part it out ..Good Luck though !!
there SHOULD be a repair manual out there ... and there might be some youtube videos on replacing it

http://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=transaxles

this place ALWAYS has new items every few weeks you might want to keep checking back

Thank you for your suggestion. I did check out the website you linked for me but unfortunately, I didn't see the unit I need. I may still call them and see if they can refer me somewhere where they might be able to fix it or replace it... Thanks again for your time.

Geoff

geoff

Threads
Hi, Have you solved this yet? If the setup is similar to my 725 then you have a belt driving the pump and hoses to the wheel motor. You could disconnect the hoses and see if the pump will spin. Then you would at least know which unit you are dealing with.
mark

Please forgive my ignorance in the following question... am I correct, that if I disconnect the pulley and the hoses, and the pump spins, then the problem is only in the final drive? Do I have the right? Thanks for your time and suggestions. Looking forward to your reply when you have time.

Geoff

qmark

Threads
Please forgive my ignorance in the following question... am I correct, that if I disconnect the pulley and the hoses, and the pump spins, then the problem is only in the final drive? Do I have the right? Thanks for your time and suggestions. Looking forward to your reply when you have time.

Geoff

If it is locked up with the hoses connected and will spin with them disconnected, it would point to the motor at fault. If it is still locked up then it should be the pump. There is a possibility the problem is beyond the motor, such as a seized wheel bearing.